Chrylser Sport Satellite boat question

Tulkster

Cadet
Ok so i just picked up this boat for 50 bucks and i knew it needed work the floor was rotten and the transon was shot too.. so i pulled up the floor to find expanding foam underneth that was water logged so i started to take all the foam out and ended up finding that there is no stringers at all.. now that all the foam is out the boat is really weak.. so this foam must be struceral. now in order to fix this boat i need new foam.. so i was wondering about getting someone who spray foam houses to spray the boat hull.. any ideas on how to do this? i can post pics to show what it looks like later

Tulkster

Cadet
Chrylser sport sattlite structural foam question

Chrylser sport sattlite structural foam question

Ok so i just bought a 15ft chrylser boat for 50 bucks, i knew it needed work the floor was rotten and so is the transom, so i started riping up the old floor to find it full of expanding foam that was water logged.. so i started taking the foam out and found that the boat has no stringers now that the foam is out the boat is really weak,, so now to be able to finnish the boat i need new foam but dont know how to replace.. was thinking about getting somone who does spary foam insulation in houses to spray the hull then i'll through the new floor over the foam while still expanding.. any one have this same problem? i'll post pics later

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrylser sport sattlite structural foam question

Welcome to the iBoats Dry Dock!!

Hopefully you know where the Deck was previously attached to the sides of the hull. If so, then you can use Pour In foam to get the job done. You can buy it here... www.uscomposites.com I would recommend the 4lb density foam, and you'll probably need approx. 2 80lb kits.
Be Prepared...It ain't cheap. You will have to cut and shape the foam to level it off and then set the deck on it. OR you could build a stringer system like other boats and then pour the foam. Up to you what you wanna do. I'm SURE others will chime in with their ideas as well.

Welcome Aboard!!!;)

Tulkster

Cadet

here are some pics

Attachments

• boat e 004.jpg
    boat e 004.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 002.jpg
    boat e 002.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 005.jpg
    boat e 005.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 006.jpg
    boat e 006.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 001.jpg
    boat e 001.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

Tulkster

Cadet
Re: Chrylser sport sattlie boat question

here are some pics

Attachments

• boat e 004.jpg
    boat e 004.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 002.jpg
    boat e 002.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 005.jpg
    boat e 005.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 006.jpg
    boat e 006.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat e 001.jpg
    boat e 001.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0

findango

Cadet

Looks like a great project... why am I such a sucker for old rotten boats???

I agree with woodonglass... if your going to do this... glass in some stringer supports.. make sure you attach them to your new transom... it will take a little more time, but you'll be glad you did

have you ever played with fiberglass?

Tulkster

Cadet

yea i've done some fiberglassing before,, i should post my other 1968 14 footer that i put a new transom with a 100hp on it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well now, wait just a cottin pickin minute!!! You got yourself a center stringer there Tulkster!!! That's a whole different kettle of fish. If it is NOT wet or Rotten and does not need to be replaced and your Transom is the same then this could be a little easier than I thought. First thing you need to do is MAKE SURE your transom is good. Take a drill and on the inside of the boat drill some 3/8" holes into the transom about 3/4" deep DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!!! Drill down low and then up about 4-6" in various locations. Check your shavings. If they are powdery or dark and damp then NOT GOOD. If they are Tan and DRY then GOOD. IF NOT GOOD you will have to rip out the transom and replace all of the wood. If Good then Get some 3M 5200 sealant and fill the holes. I suspect it will be NOT GOOD due to the waterlogged foam but you never know. Check it out!!! From your picture it LOOKS bad to me but looks can be deceiving. It appears the wood on the transom is delaminating. As dark as it is it appears to have been wet. Let us know what you find. You can do the same drill test on that center striner as well.

Tulkster

Cadet

the transom is rotted out.. in the pics its already removed and for that center stringer its only 1/2 plywood maby only 2 inches deep, it feels like the fiberglass on the side walls is thicker then the bottem hull.. if i were to stand in the boat the way it is i'd probley crack the fiber glass.. as for the center stringer its wet but not mushy.. it doen't even look like it gives it much strength

Tulkster

Cadet

i have 7 big bags of wet foam the stuff is really hard,, i think when they built the boat they put the deck down glassed in and the filled the hull with the expanding foam there was a plug in the old ply wood where i think they poured it in

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you could lay some other stringers in there? Might be easier than the foam.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've got one stringer right there in the middle. Not terribly uncommon.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why you had two threads going. I merged the two.