Painting the deck

Jgreen12

Cadet
I have a 1964 seaswirl P-14 in very good shape. The are I would like to next focus on is the worn out traffic areas in deck of my little 14' seaswirl. Looks like it was originally painted a grey color and I would like to repaint it to make it clean looking again before I put in the new seats. Everyone has a answer to my question that differs from the last person I asked. So here is the question; is there an economical way to paint the boat without taking it into a shop for them to spray a gel coat? Is their a product I can paint on that will work? Spray paint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting the deck

Yep, IMHO, you can use Plain ole Rustoleum Professional Premium Oil Based Paint. Wash the deck with soap and water and a brush. Remove any loose paint. Thin with 15% Acetone, Add some Valspar Oil Based Paint Hardener and it will Last for Years. Cost you less than $60 bucks for everything. You can use a 6" Foam roller to apply it. It will lay down smooth as a Baby's bottom. Comes in the Gray you want too. 2-3 hours and she'll be good as new.;)

findango

Cadet

A good product to use is sold at home depot... Its Glidden porch and floor paint... its one part poly paint, comes in a bunch of colors, and it gets as hard as the back of my head. I just painted the inside of mine with the light grey.. now for the great news... $22 per gallon..
I agree with Woodonglass...get it CLEAN, and use a foam roller if your applying it to a a smooth surface... if its for your deck, add some "no skid" granules to the paint (last coat).. they sell that at the depot too..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A good product to use is sold at home depot... Its Glidden porch and floor paint... its one part poly paint, comes in a bunch of colors, and it gets as hard as the back of my head. I just painted the inside of mine with the light grey.. now for the great news... $22 per gallon..
I agree with Woodonglass...get it CLEAN, and use a foam roller if your applying it to a a smooth surface... if its for your deck, add some "no skid" granules to the paint (last coat).. they sell that at the depot too..

NOPE, this is NOT good to use. The MFG clearly states it is NOT to be used in Exposed Direct Sunlight since it is an epoxy product and has NO UV protection qualities. This has been discussed many times here on the Forum and it has been determined to be NOT a good choice of Marine Use. I would recommend staying away from this type of product for your boat.

Art Bernard

Banned

Rustoleum has marine grade paint. I use oyster white to paint the inside of my 20' center console. It holds up very well and if you want to make it non-skid they sell a can of grit that you mix with the paint. Just give the area you're painting a light sanding and roll it on. I get it at Lowe's.

Art

deer_man

Recruit

I just replaced my a small bad spot on my 1982 deck boat. After I laid down resin I cover it with Truck bed liner "hurculiner" looks great and painted it the other day with Rustoleum as mentioned by woodonglass.