Motor Fogging For Storage

yorab

Ensign
So it pains me deeply to say that now, after almost 4 years of rebuilding my motor, I must put it into storage. I'll be moving to Singapore for at least a year at the end of next week. I was racing to try to get my rebuild completed as well as the break-in but the weather here in PA was atrocious this spring. I'll barely get the thing broken in before I have to store it for an extended time.

I'll search the forum for tips on long-term storage. Can anybody think of anything special that may need to be done since my motor is freshly rebuilt that may not be listed in those threads? The motor is listed in my signature. Thanks.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Fogging For Storage

I really can't think of anything "special" that need to be done to the motor just because it is recently rebuilt. I have head of some pulling the plugs and putting a tbl spoon of oil in it but thats about all I know. If you fog it that is pretty much the same thing.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

what I would do is either remove the carburetors or fill a gas can with one gallon of gas with some seafoam. run the motor to get the sea foam into the carburetors and then fog the motor. Follow the instructions on how to fog the motor. After the motor is fogged, remove the plugs and spray some more fogging oil into the heads, try to turn the flywheel from time to time to allow the oil to spread evenly inside the heads. When done put the plugs back.(While this might be an over kill it wouldn't hurt). Remove the intake manifold silencer and spray some fogging oil inside the carburetors and the heads.

The only reason why I mention about either removing the carbs or using sea foam is because when you fog the motor through the shredder valve you are bypassing the carbs dumping all the fogging oil past the carburetors. good luck

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

what is the motor? if it is a dfi motor DO NOt do it can damaged the injectors to run anything but fuel through them. just removed the plugs and put 2 oz oil in them.

yorab

Ensign

1963 75hp Evinrude Starflite V Electric Shift with 5" Extension and Automotive-type Battery Distributor Ignition Model #75383E

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

you can fog or just add some oil to the cylinders. i prefer adding oil through the plug ports.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

1st off, get any ethanol fuel out of there. Then try to find some non oxy fuel, put some stabil in it [just a gallon or so]Run your engine till its up to temp. You want to fog a 2 stroke thru the intakes, not just the spark plug holes. Otherwise you wont get the lower end protected. The way we do our 2 stroke snomobiles is to run the engine at a high idle 1500-1800 rpm . then start spraying fogging oil into the cards, the engine will start smoking and coffing till it eventually stalls. Slowly reduce the rpms if needed thru the process. usually it stalls faster then you want,, takes a little practice. I like it to take about 10 seconds of fogging, feels more thorough. Now the upper and lower end is lubed. As an added measure, pull the plugs, spray some oil into the top end ,turn the engine over a few times to distribute the oil in the cylinders. replace the plugs, Then I drain the carbs of fuel, by removing the drain plugs on the bottom of the carbs [if equipped]. Then we siphon the remaining fuel out of the tanks. Then the only fuel left in the engine is in the fuel lines, and its stabilized and ethanol free. Spray the engine down with WD 40 or some other moisture displacing product to retard rust etc. Then we block the exhaust with steel wool to keep the critters out. Then it goes ni-night for the off season.

firstboatbuild

Seaman Apprentice

For the motor in question in this thread then you are correct about fogging. However in the case of merc dfi and efi systems Merc says do not run anything but fuel through the system as it will damage the injectors and they are not cheap.