Gel coat damage

mesteve

Cadet
So just did a bit of damage to the gel coat at the keep of our new to us open bow. bare fiberglass is showing but no glass damge. We had plans to take it out this Saturday.

My questions is, for a half day of in the water, is water intrusion a real issue? I cannot get it in to get fixed before then.

Thanks.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Gel coat damage

Pictures would help but the short answer would be to fix it before you go out. Bare fiberglass and water is not a good combination. Water can be drawn in to the glass thru a wicking process and cause hydrolysis. In layman's terms, decomposition of the bonding of polyester resins.

Why take a chance when you can wait a week and fix it first?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IF the damage is NOT to extensive you could do a temporary patch using Marine Tex and then when you have more time grind it out and do the repair right. OR if it is relatively small you could just mix up some Gelcoat paste clean the area really well with some acetone and fill with the paste, sand it smooth and go boating. But... as was said before a pic WOULD really help;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can use it for the next 50 years and have no issues if the damage is as you described.

If a bare (no gel coat, raw glass) laminate (your boat hull) was immersed in water for long periods of time, then yes, depending on the exact resin and glass used there may possibly be some issues show up long term. On a trailer?d boat it will make no difference if the boat had any gel coat on it at all, short term immersion has little to no effect.

mesteve

Cadet

Doing some research about the 'net regarding marinetex vs re-gelling. It seems to me either way is pretty much the same in terms of labor to do right and the gel coat can be buffed/colored to match.

What is the advantage of doing a marinetex patch vs gel coat patch (other than local availability of products)?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Marine Tex is an Epoxy product and Gelcoat is a POLY product. Epoxy will adhere to Poly but Poly will NOT adhere to Epoxy. Soooo... If you use marine tex and then wanted to try and apply ANY Poly product over it it would NOT adhere. You would HAVE to grind it all off. Your Gelcoat is and the rest of your boat is ALL Poly sooo.... you might want to stick with Poly unless you are ok with the patch not exactly matching the color of your Gelcoat. but then again PAINT will cure it ALL!!!:eek:

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get some Evercoat Formula 27. I used it for the first time for the EXACT same issue.....It dries within a few minutes - and it dries white. Once it dries - wet sand to get the desired shape and then paint. It is a POLY product - and I am seriously impressed with it!!!

You can use it as a patch - and when you decide to paint it - just wetsand lightly with 600 and paint.

Here is a link to my "issue" (I just wish I was better at taking pictures....Once I get into a project, I don't stop until it is over!!!)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=475184

mesteve

Cadet

Epoxy will adhere to Poly but Poly will NOT adhere to Epoxy. Soooo... If you use marine tex and then wanted to try and apply ANY Poly product over it it would NOT adhere.

marinetex.com said:
How to apply gelcoat over epoxies (Marine Tex):

-Applying polyester resin (like gelcoat) over epoxy is very tricky and must be done extremely carefully. The smaller the repair, the easier it is to coat epoxy with gelcoat. The larger the area, the polyester will be more difficult to work with and more likely to malfunction (not cure).

-Mix and apply the epoxy to the surface to be repaired. Be sure to use the correct proportions and keep the application at a minimum of 70˚F.

-Let the epoxy cure for a minimum of 48 hours. Leave more time for curing if temperatures are between 60˚F - 68˚F. (At least 72 - 96 hours.) This time for curing allows the amine blush (a waxy surfactant) to come to the surface.

-Clean the surface with warm, soapy water.

-Rinse with fresh water.

-Check to see if the blush is completely removed.

-Lightly sand with 120 grit sandpaper, clean again.

-You will now be ready to apply the gelcoat.

I understand that many say it cannot be done, but others, and the manufacturer say otherwise... Woodonglass, not trying to doubt you at all, but have there been changes in either type of product that marinetex is able to make this claim?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My questions is, for a half day of in the water, is water intrusion a real issue?

Like ondarvr said .. NO issues what so ever.

At least non in your lifetime.

Get some pics up so we can start giving you better advice on how to repair this :).

Forum 27 is bondo .. basically. No good.

Yes if your going to finish it with gel..then get the gel and paste it with gel+Cabosil mix ( you might have to chop some glass in the mix if its too deep .. again with the pics ;) ).

I have never used marine Tex and see no reason to do so when you already have your components there to do a Pro job.

YD.

Thalasso

Commander

Go to www.spectrum colors.com. They have gelcoat repair kits for every boat and color made. really easy to use and repair.You will need to know your year and color of boat.Remember all whites are not the same.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Go to www.spectrum colors.com. They have gelcoat repair kits for every boat and color made. really easy to use and repair.You will need to know your year and color of boat.Remember all whites are not the same.

You will have to "tweak" the color for a match .. some come spot on from spectrum..and for most the match will do..

But your prep is key..dig too much into that OEM gel color you might run into problems ..

Cat it hot if its an older boat *hint*.

YD.