Pwc flushing techniques

ajaxcycle

Cadet
As a Yamaha certified watercraft tech I can not repeat this procedure often enough-when cranking any PWC out of the water 1. hook the water supply hose to the inlet on the watercraft, DO NOT TURN WATER ON YET 2.CRANK MOTOR ONCE MOTOR IS RUNNING TURN WATER SUPPLY ON.3. RUN AT LEAST 5 MINUTES AT IDLE TO THOROUGHLY FLUSH SYSTEM.4. TURN WATER SUPPLY OFF, REV ENGINE 3-5 TIMES TO CLEAR EXHAUST AND THEN KILL THE MOTOR. If you run water to a PWC without it running you will back fill the cylinders with water and cause hydro lock. I have replaced cylinders on PWC's that owner's tried to crank after water had been turned on first ( same customer twice) when the piston tried to compress the water it busted the cylinder right off the case not to mention bending the rod. So remember - ENGINE ON - WATER ON, WATER OFF - ENGINE OFF in that order!!! You can safely run the engine without water 45 to 60 seconds giving you plenty of time to walk back from the faucet.

Last edited:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pwc flushing techniques

...So remember - ENGINE ON - WATER ON, ENGINE OFF - WATER OFF in that order!!! You can safely run the engine without water 45 to 60 seconds giving you plenty of time to walk back to the faucet.

ajax, you made the same mistake in the other thread. It should be:

1. ENGINE ON
2. WATER ON

3. WATER OFF
4. ENGINE OFF

ajaxcycle

Cadet
Re: Pwc flushing techniques

Thanks for the correction, what you said is what I ment! The post is now also corrected!