Power Tilt and Trim problems

Habber

Cadet
I own a 1987 Campion Bow Rider with a 130 HP 3.0 Lt Mercruiser Inboard. On the Throttle there is the button the brings the lower unit up and down as you need when in the water and a trailer button. The top button will lower the outdrive ok, but when you push the button to raise the lower unit it will just click at the back. The back, I mean at the back of the boat where the mechanisim is that controls the operation of raising and lowering the outdrive. I hope I havent confuzed everbody, but Im new to boating. Any ideas what could be my problem? It seems that when the boat gets warmed up it will operate ok. Is the hydraulic fluid in there? Any reply's would be great. Thanks Barry

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Power Tilt and Trim problems

try rapidly clicking the switch to "unstick" the solenoid

Habber

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response, I tried that and nothing just a clicking noise. Now when I push the trailer button real quick up it comes. I dont want to raise the lower unit that way if I dont have to

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if the trailer button raises the drive then the trim button will too, its the same solenoid you are controlling

check the harness connection at the pump, may be loose/corroded

Habber

Cadet

I looked at the harness, I took it apart at the throttle , followed the line all the way back to the solinoid and everything looks fine. Im sure its something simple. very frustrating.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

check the voltage at the solenoid when either switch is depressed - if the trim switch shows a lower voltage then you have an issue with the wiring for that circuit

keep in mind the trim switch only works to raise the drive part way, the trailer button over-rides the limit switch to allow for full tilt

Habber

Cadet

yes I am aware the trailer mode over rides this. I will check the voltage. Its an older boat and the guy I got her from took very good care of her, Its just frustrating. The boat is in my driveway and tonight afte work i was trying to figure it out. At one point I had the dam thing all the way down and it was hitting the pavement. I managed to get it back up