1963 75hp Johnson Elec. Shift....lower unit issue..

BucksNuts83

Recruit
Hello, fist time here. Just found this site. Anyways, Just a quick question for the "experts" as Im not!..lol..here we go, I have 63' 75hp Johnson Elec. shift outboard. I bought it off c/l on a boat that I liked. Well after talking with guy felt pretty good about the boat and motor. When I drive out to look it over we started the engine just so he could prove it starts and runs, we didnt run it any longer than maybe 45sec to 1min due to fact we had no way to hook up water and didnt want it over heating. Motor starts and runs strong! Well I took it to the local lake on mothers day, fired up and trolled out to no wake limits. Once I let the hammer down, nothing happen...lol..I just sat ther. Put in Reverse, worked great. Trolled little more and tried it again....and SAT THER!...lol...after getting boat home I decided to take the lower unit apart and see what was up. LOWER UNIT IS SHOT!!!...well anyways after the long story..lol..my question is...I found a 1962 40hp Johnson Elec. Shift on c/l. Guys says motor ran fine 5yrs ago when he bought it, but he hasnt tried it since then cause he sold his boat before he got the motor on it. Well I'm thinking that back in the 60's Johnson or anyone else for that matter didnt have the mass production ability they do now, SO...Would the lower unit from this 62' 40hp, work on my 63' 75hp?..Please if anyone can help I would love it. Thanks Aaron

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 75hp Johnson Elec. Shift....lower unit issue..

Sorry, NO.

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 1963 75hp Johnson Elec. Shift....lower unit issue..

Welcome to the forum! The members here are great and will help you through any problem. I am not one of those "experts" but have found a lot of good resources on this forum. For instance, the link below will get you to an index of original parts catalogs for Evinrude and Johnson motors which will let you find the part numbers needed to repair your motor. The biggest challenge is parts availability for these old ones, especially the electric shift models. Also, take a look at threads started by forum member yorab because he has just completed the overhaul of a motor identical to yours and well-documented his journey. Good luck!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php