motor dies at idle after carb removal

airraider

Cadet
I posted this once before with no response , but here it goes again ... any suggestions would be helpful. I have a 1983 mercury 50 4 cylinder 2 stroke ser. 6277090 that i was having issues with only running half speed at full throttle. Well i decided to take a look at the carbs and the first thing i noticed once i took the cover off , a peice of eletrical tape had gotten sucked into the carb .. i removed the tape started up the motor for a few and was getting higher rpms... well i wanted to check the carb to make sure a peice of tape didnt get sucked into the carb or intake.. took the carb off, disassemble , and reassemble and reinstall... after reistalled motor started up right up with WOT in neutral , however the motor seemed to be running at idle speed at WOT... now when i back off of WOT(which is running at idle speed) the motor dies like it isnt getting any fuel... any suggestions as to what i could have messed up on taking the carbs off? sorry so long...

M

Maxz695

Re: motor dies at idle after carb removal

sounds like you missed the linkage when reinstalling the carb and when you come down off of WOT the linkage is hitting the amature on the carb and closing to a lower than specified setting for idle. try to see if the carb butterfly opens fully when at WOT and that the carb amature is moving along with the throttle linkage I,ve seen this before upon reinstallation

airraider

Cadet
Re: motor dies at idle after carb removal

thanks max z will check that when i get off in the a.m.