2009 Mercury Seapro 430cc international (tohatsu) . Rectifier question

Philippe12

Cadet
I'm assuming it already has an alternator as it has a bunch of zip tied wiring on the front RH side. Thats how it gets it spark is it not?
I need to charge a battery with it. Can I just order a rectifier kit and plug and play? or do i need other things like a voltage regulator?
I am also confused as to which rectifier i need.
It is a pull start outboard

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/ca/parts-search.html#mr1050ar2527

Item #11 or item # 12 ?

Item #12 comes from this drawing
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/ca/parts-search.html#mr1050ar2530

item #24

cr2k

Captain
Re: 2009 Mercury Seapro 430cc international (tohatsu) . Rectifier question

First off you need to determine if it even has charging capabilities. A lot of pull start OBs do not. If there is an elect start model or option it May have charging or it may be part of the upgrade kit.
Some may have charging system like you are hoping and just need to add Rectifier to an open plug somewhere.

Call a dealer or Mercury or track down the specs for your model.

Wires on side from flywheel area are:
Charge for ignition (to power pack)
Trigger for ignition (to power pack)
Charge wires for 12v to rectifier. (if equipped.)

To up grade the Stator if necessary would be costly, could run from $200 to $500 for the needed Stator (if available) plus rectifier ($20-$150).

Sorry I do not have an answer for your specific question, but I hope I have give you information you can use.
CR

Philippe12

Cadet

The wires are just behind the ignition switch/lanyard thing on the rh side. 2 wires that have the bullet style connector with plastic protector plugs in it. I guess I will run the motor and check to see if i have AC volts there, and if i do i'm good to go for just the rectifier right?

Philippe12

Cadet

Alright, i tested it. The 3 wires have AC Power on them when the engine is running, 9 VAC at idle and goes up past 15VAC when you rev it. So does this mean i can hook the rectifier up to it and i'm good to go for charging? I will run without a voltage regulator.

TheDerby

Cadet

FYI. you can buy a radio shack recitifier for $4.

Probably too late, but may help someone else.

mikebloke

Recruit

hi Philoppe 12, how did you go with that charger ? does it work, and does it have the capability to charge the battery AND run the engine ?
would love to know how you got on with it.....mike