1975 Evinrude Issue(need help please)

75rude

Recruit
I recently bought a 16.5' Landau boat that came with a 70 HP Evinrude. The motor had not been ran in years from what the guy told me. I have done a compression check on all three cylinders and they are all running between 115-120 psi. I have cleaned 2 carbs and put a kit on the lower one. I changed the plugs and the lower unit oil(which was milky) and then fired it up on the muffs. It starts up nice and runs good but when I brought it to the lake for the first time it ran good for a few minutes and then just lost all its power and stalled out. I tried to start it again and it would not fire up. It seems to me that it is getting too much gas and flooding out but I am no mechanic, does anyone have any suggestions or have had a similar experience?

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1975 Evinrude Issue(need help please)

If it ran good for a few minutes at the lake and stalled out I would first do a spark check and second recheck your carbs. There could have been a piece of junk from the tank or somewhere got in a carb orafice. Also you might not have your float set properly. Make sure they are level when you turn them upside down. Also do a search here for link n sync for your engine and follow each step. Do not skip any. This links the carbs so everything works at the time it is supposed to.

75rude

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, I checked the spark before putting it in the water and it was fine. I ran it last night on my muffs and noticed that after running for only a few min the top cylinder was pretty warm, is it possible that the water pump is bad and when the motor reaches a certain temp it shuts down?

fireman57

Captain

Could be an overheating problem. When it is running put your finger on the heads after warm up. You should be able to hold them there for a long five or six count before pulling them off. If it is sooner than this if is overheating. Could be water pump, blockage in the water circulation route or bad tstat. If you think it is flooding out it sounds like one or more of your floats are stuck or improperly installed.