1961 5.5HP Pinion Shaft and Shock 0376073

Mellonhead

Cadet
I have a 1961 Johnson 5.5HP CD18 that I'm trying to replace the water pump in.

When I tighten the the screw in the water pump housing, the drive shaft and prop shaft bind and can't be turned.

I'm thinking this Pinion Shaft / Shock absorber are shot.
Johnson5_5HP1961ModelCD18.jpg

Questions:
1. Is this assembly supposed to compress like a shock absorber on a car?

2. Is there supposed to be a Thrust washer just above the Pinion Gear?

3. Or is the washer just below the Shock Absorber the Trust Washer?

I'm thinking the that the Pinion Shaft is being pressed into the Clutch Dog when the water pump housing screws are being tightened, or the shock absorber isn't compressing like it's supposed to.

There was no Thrush Washer just above the Pinion Gear when I took it apart, and there was some damage to the Bearing Housing and Bearing 0376074 when I took it apart.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

MH

Spooledrotten

Recruit
Re: 1961 5.5HP Pinion Shaft and Shock 0376073

I have the same motor, just finished breaking it down all the way. You wanna make sure the drive shaft is pushed all the way into the shock gear. On the water pump the brass fitting under the oil seal has a groove to allow oil in to lub shaft. if the squared part of the shaft is not all the way down into the gear it will catch on that groove and not turn... so try pushing down on the drive shaft and then turn it....hope this helps...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1961 5.5HP Pinion Shaft and Shock 0376073

Those things are notorious for breaking. If you can, have it compressed to the correct length (evenly) and tig teld it all the way around.