Is this normal?

turbo17665

Recruit
I just bought a 1990 Caravelle for 2000$. I ran it the same day i bought it, but I noticed its making a chattering noise in the back of the engine, Im a diesel mechanic and have common knowledge of engines, but I think this might be something in the outdrive, like a bearing, coupler, or a u-joint if they have them I dont know, just wanted to know if someone had any advice on what this noise may be. It has a 2.3 liter ford with an OMC cobra outdrive.

Last edited:

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this normal?

Probably rule-out the coupler, it would barely move. U-Joint(s) maybe. The gimbal-bearing will make more of a roaring-sound kind of like a bad throwout bearing. Chattering? when you say chattering, can you feel the chatter?? I'd pull the drive and see what's up. The Cobra is very easy to pull.

turbo17665

Recruit

You can feel a vibration in it with the boat out of the water and water running to it, When it was in the water it felt normal to me but that sound is still there, I thought it was just the sound that it made, Ive owned outboards all my life, this is the first I/O Ive had and dont really know what sounds are normal yet. Ive had a few "smart ones" tell me to just run it until something shows up but I would rather not tear up more than what already is.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd bet the gimbal-bearing needs replacing. Try hitting it with some grease at the Zerk-fitting and see if it diminishes the noise. If it's bad, the grease will make it a little quieter, but it wll still come back probably. If it changes any after the grease-shot-that's your problem, you need a new bearing.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

A easy way to separate engine noise from outdrive noise, is to remove the outdrive and start the engine.. Don't run it long, just enough to be sure the engine isn't making the said noise.. You could rig a water hose to it I guess if you need to, but I have found about 20 sec is all you need to be sure it's not the engine making the noise..

Plus removing the drive will give you a chance to check the bellows, grease the u joints, check the gimble bearing, and align the engine..

Alignment tool is 35 bucks on ebay and the gasket and orings needed are like 5 bucks... Cheap maintenance