engine electrical connections.

LNM

Cadet
Hey all, new boater here. I am currently working through the wiring mess left by the previous owner. I was wondering if after cleaning wire connections.. such as the starter cables, coil and solenoid connections etc. Should I be putting some kind of sealer on them. I saw some liquid black tape by Permatex and was thinking of using it to water proof the connections.

It just seems logical to put something on them..

1979 OMC 140

Art Bernard

Banned
Re: engine electrical connections.

Hiya, I'd use shrink tubing or some of that paint on protectant. Corrosion is your constant enemy on a boat, esspecially in electrical systems so make sure it's water tight as posible. I dont recomend electrical tape as it dosent last that long, comes unraveled, and dosen't keep water out worth a darn. I also use WD-40. I coat my whole outboard with it (btw, WD-40 was originally developed as a water repelent for use on Nuc missiles if I remember correctly). I've used it for years and it works great but there is also some speciality spray stuff out there as well. Hope this helps.

Art

pheasanthunter

Seaman Apprentice

If your using the boat on fresh water I wouldn't worry about coating it with anything. Except your battery terminals. Just a good tight connection should be fine. I'm pretty sure that coating your outboard with WD-40 is not a great environmental solution.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

If your using the boat on fresh water I wouldn't worry about coating it with anything. Except your battery terminals. Just a good tight connection should be fine. I'm pretty sure that coating your outboard with WD-40 is not a great environmental solution.

Neither is running a 2 cycle motor that expels raw fuel and oil into the water but I bet you don't have a problem with that do you? it has been a very common practice for people to spray the powerhead and other components under the hood on their outboards for many years. You don't spray the entire outboard from cover to prop!!!

When it comes to doing any wiring job, if it is on your tow rig, your boat, or on your trailer, it pays to do it right the first time. If you are going to rewire a complete boat then by all means use as much protection as you can.

Corrosion, mold, mildew are pure poison to boats, even the freshwater variety!!!!!

Art Bernard

Banned

It dosen't say so on the can, but I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that WD-40's main ingredient is fish oil:)

Art

Mac525

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yep its shrimp oil A-1 for the fishes use it on all my fishing gear before it goes back in the tackle box all my gear looks brand new and some is more than 30 years old all of it salt water plus the fish seem to love the stuff

PS liquid black tap works pretty well and so does dielectric grease. no air no problems

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

After cleaning the battery terminal connections and the ground/starter connections, give them a shot of the spray battery terminal protectant. You can get it from any parts store/Wal-Mart, etc. It is the light red/pink coating that protects the terminals from corrosion. I use it on all the battery connections, grounding lugs for the zincs, and even on the back of the ground bus bar. Works great.

LNM

Cadet

thanks everyone. I will look for the spray battery terminal protectant.. we have an awesome shop in town that probably has it.

and im real sorry that i didn't point out that it is a gm omc 140 stern drive 4cy. 4 stroke. im still learning.:redface: