1967 Johnson 9.5 Shift

Polker

Recruit
I am trying to get the lower unit back together and I am running into a problem that I hope someone can help me with. The Crappies are caling out to me!

I can shift through forward, neutral, and reverse when the prop is in a certain position, but can't if it is moved to another. I can turn it and get it to the right one again and it will shift again. What am i missing?

Thanks!

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1967 Johnson 9.5 Shift

turning the driveshaft in a clockwise direction, you should be able to find f-n-r by pulling up and pushing down on the shift rod..all the way up is reverse, all the way down is foward, neutral is between the two

highcountry

Seaman

Stop and think for a minute, when the motor is running the shaft is turning and it will let the pinion gear line up with the other gears, when you try to change gears while it is off they run into each other unless you are turning the prop.

85 BOMBER

Seaman

Was the lower unit removed for some sort of servicing? Impeller, maybe? If that's the case, you may not have put the shift linkage back in the same spot when tightening the bolt. Again, if that's the case, just remove the side cover for the shifter linkage and make slight adjustments until it's where you need it. If no service was done, it is possible that the bolt has backed out far enough for the linkage to "slip" a little causing this problem. Good luck! I hope this helps.

Polker

Recruit

Thanks for the respones.

It shifted just fine to all gears. No it wasn't an adjustment issue. I got it all together with no leaks and took it out. It fired right up after sitting all winter. The prop wouldn't turn. Yes it was on correctly. I took the cowl off and got to where the driveshaft went in. The pictures that I have seen of the driveshafts show a longer gear on the part that goes into the motor. Does anyone know if all of the driveshafts from those models over the years were the same? I think it broke off.

I am going to look at a fourstroke this weekend...

Polker

Recruit

It ended up being a broken driveshaft. It broke cleanly at the top gear and polished itself when I ran it. Damnest thing. I am going to look for one on ebay. But now I am faced with putting it back together. It was easy taking it apart. If I can get it back together, it will be a miracle.