9.8 mercury I need help

easygo92

Recruit
I just got a pontoon boat and it has an older 9.8 mercury on it. what I need to know is can I use the clamp on muffs that you hook a water hose up to and see if it will run and if so I am not sure where these muffs go there is 2 round holes but when I took the plastic caps off it looks like there is a solid cap with a c clamp. I would appreciate any help.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 9.8 mercury I need help

that motor not suited for muffs - I know I have done it with some sort of clamp affair, but neutral only, because the pickup is above the prop if i recall, but better to fill a big garbage bin - that way you'll know if the impeller is working too, instead of your garden hose doing the pushing

labassman

Recruit

I have a 95 9.9 4stroke mariner and the intake is under the cavitation plate or just above the prop and I found a motor flusher for that motor that slides over the cavitation plate as long as the cav. plate is between 3.5 and 5 inches across. It allows me to run engine and even shift into fwd. and rev. Go to seasense.com and the part# is 50073745. Hope this helps.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

wow that is cool
http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Small-Outboard-Motor-Flusher/dm/view_id.340921
50073745_0.png