2008 4.3GL Carb Rebuild...How Hard?

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
So, apparently I'm getting the shaft with my warranty from VP and my boat is in need of a carb rebuild. Actually, the boat has been in need of a carb rebuild since I took ownership at 0 hours...so now I guess it's overdue for a rebuild.

But, apparently that isn't covered under warranty...even though it was an issue from day one...which makes me feel so good inside.

Anyway, I'm thinking of attempting it myself, but I figured I'd throw out a query and see if anyone has done such a job before and how difficult it really is. I've rebuilt plenty of carbs...but they've all been on lawnmowers and snowblowers and the like. I assume this one might be a bit more complicated.

Thanks!

damon

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2008 4.3GL Carb Rebuild...How Hard?

What is wrong with it? Why do you think it needs rebuilt? The only reason carbs need rebuilt is because they have dirt or water in them. That, my friend, is not covered by warranty.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the story:

I bought a 2008 model boat with a 4.3GL/1.66SX propulsion system last April. The boat was a 'factory leftover', which probably means it sat for a long time before I got it.

From the first time I took the boat out, it would sputter and hesitate every time I accelerated...most noticably from a dead stop.

I called the dealer and they told me to give it some time...the boat had 0 hours and needed to break in. So I did. 20 hours later, it's still doing it. I called again, they said winter would be a good time to bring it in...so I just dealt with it for the season.

Winter comes and I contact them again, and am told they need to run it in a river or a pool and that both are frozen and we can deal with it in the spring.

Spring comes, I take it in and am rudely informed that they ran it, deemed it needed a carb rebuilt kit and that VP denied the warranty claim. I'm assuming the dealership informed them this was a problem from day one...but it's hard to say...other things transpired and there is no way I'd ever deal with that dealership again.

But, that's pretty much all I have to go by is that the techs deemed it needed a rebuild and VP said no go under warranty.

So here I have a new boat that has never run right and a manuf./dealer that apparently doesn't want to make it right...and I'd like my boat to actually run like the $20k boat I paid for.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but you know how it is when you've never done a specific job...you like advice. ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Contact Volvo, not the dealer, the warranty paper work that came with your engine has the phone numbers. Your warranty should be for 2 years. I somehow bet that your selling dealer never registered the engine with Volvo, and are just feeding you a line BS.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks...I've been talking to Volvo all morning through email. They're pretty good at responding, so hopefully they'll be good at helping me out, too.

That being said, any words of wisdom on the actual carb rebuilding?

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I'm pretty resigned to fixing it myself. The kit is only $35 on iBoats.

In most of my other carb experience, it's usually just some crap somewhere. I'm not sure about this one, though. If it were your boat (and the warranty thing was a moot point) how would you all attack the issue?

Thanks!

damon

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sure, attack it if the instructions are good.

I have done carb rebuilds that needed good old fashioned "lady luck" because the instructions were sucky.

But usually, if there are good exploded diagrams and instructions, a carb clean/rebuild is pretty easy. Kinda like fixing a Rubik's Cube (which I can do in around 60-90 seconds!).

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well, I'm pretty resigned to fixing it myself. The kit is only $35 on iBoats.

In most of my other carb experience, it's usually just some crap somewhere. I'm not sure about this one, though. If it were your boat (and the warranty thing was a moot point) how would you all attack the issue?

Thanks!

damon

Stick with what Don has posted. On your buyers order there is a box that describes the boat as new or used. If the box is checked used its rebuild time. If it is checked new fax Volvo a copy they are a very good company..One misguided dealer should not effect the warranty provides on a new boat....And Volvo should direct you to a dealer they can recomend...;)

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Welp, another year passed with crappy performance from my boat. I worked with Volvo last spring and ended up having them recommend a shop, setting up an appt. weeks before bringing in the boat, driving it hours out of my way, then having them sit on it for a week or two and finally, after harrassing them, they turned up the idle a bit and told me it was fixed. Needless to say, it wasn't fixed, and I still have a boat with a serious hesitation issue.

So, here I am again, asking the same old question...how should I go about getting my boat up and running the way it should? :)

damon

Lakerider

Seaman

This is a simple thing to try before rebuilding the whole carb. Try replacing the accelerator
Pump diaphragm If it sat a long to
As u described it had done before you bought it. The diaphragm could have a crack in it. Cheap simple
fix. Just get a new base gasket for carb when you try this. Most of my experience with carbed engines
that studder or hesitate it is the accelerator pump either bad or out of adjustment. Good Luck.

thekidd77

Cadet

Hey Lakerider,

Do have any experience when the accelerator pump is the only way you can get fuel into the engine?

My boat went from running perfect to no fuel at all, it will run for a little bit if I "manually" pump fuel into it by pumping the throttle which pushed the accelerator pump. I'm stumped to what has cutoff fuel to the idle, main and secondary systems, when I have fuel to the carb that the accelerator pump can access.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

kidd77--start your own thread.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Subliminal--
If you're resigned to do the carb rebuild, it is not hard.
And you're not dealing with a 15-year-old neglected POS either, so everything should come apart and clean up nicely.

Best thing I did for mine was rebuild one section at a time, and take cell phone pics of every piece you pull apart, before and after disassembly, to ensure that everything goes back exactly the way it came off.

The rebuild on my 3.0 took 85% of my hesitation away, and cost me $40 plus a can of carb spray, and $15 at a no-name tool store to get a vacuum gauge to allow me to set my idle screws for optimum vacuum. And $2 at autozone to get tubing to get to the gauge.

Good luck with it either way.

thekidd77

Cadet

We are talking about the same topic, I didn't hijack anything.....I can easily help as well, Don't buy parts for the accelerator pump out of the blue, just look down the front two barrels, while someone pumps the throttle lever a couple times for you, you can easily see if it sprays fuel in and is working or not, if you don't see anything then buy the pump

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, mine definitely sprays a good bit of fuel when you pump the acc. pump.

I think I'm going to take it off and give it a go.

Nothing like a 'new' boat, eh? ;)