Firestone airbag kit and jounce spacer

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2003 Chevy Z71 and getting ready to install the airbag kit. How many of you installed the jounce spacer and is it really needed? (Not getting lazy on the install)

Is it also used to add distance for the airbag to not get flattened at full suspension travel ?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Firestone airbag kit and jounce spacer

How many of you installed the jounce spacer and is it really needed?

Ayuh,... Never heard that term before,...

If it's a bump stop,...
I'd guess it's to keep from flattening the bag, 'n cutting a hole in it...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Not knowing exactly what the bag setup looks like makes it tough to say, but it would make sense to have the spacer to prevent the spring from pinching the air bag/hose at full travel. How's that for a WAG?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll

Not to take away from the minds here at Iboats but there should be an 800 number in your 'destructions' ... the ONLY people you should be asking is firestone.... after all when you go to warranty a bag, saying "but the guys on the boating forum said" isn't gonna do you a bit of good

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call Firestone, or look into Timbren overload springs, cheap and effective for helping with heavy tongue weight applications. Worked in vehicle accessories for a long time and did a few fleets of trucks with commercial boxes and set them up for trailering- these springs were the ticket and didn't break the bank.

gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Call the 800# with any questions, nice folks to deal with. I put the Firestone bags on my last truck. They were missing the spacers in the box. When I called, they said they were to protect the hose and collet in the end of the bag.

I put the Timbren springs in the new truck, haven't towed with it yet...

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called Firestone and they said I didn't have to use the spacers. The kit covers 1999-2006 Spacers are for the older models. I have plenty of clearance so nothing is going to hit.

The install went pretty easy and took about 3 hours. I took my time. The bags sure took care of the problem and the truck feels much more stable pulling the boat down the road. Money well spent in my book.

bigdaddy08302

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put those springs on my truck...works perfect for the boat and the camper

Mi duckdown

Commander

Redneck you are doing this for what reason?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Like I said in your other thread on the same subject, you would be way better off using an equilizing hitch.

just4today

Recruit

Hey Randy, We are towing a 28' Crownline (Heavy boat) and while looking for a better tow vehicle, the wife didnt like the ride of a 250 or 350 ford truck... So what we did was purchase a F150 w/ triton 5.4 to keep the nice ride when not towing and installed the Firestone air-ride system. and absolutely love it... I run 85 lbs in them when towing the boat. Heavy payload and truck doesnt sag a bit... One thing I will reco for you to do if you go this direction is order the optional "T" so your inflating one intake and disperses air evenly to both bags. Another thing I did was place the air intake inside the cabin of the truck and went out a bought an in expensive 12 volt craftsmen compressor and can fill bags inside the truck if need be....

Good luck!

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing I will reco for you to do if you go this direction is order the optional "T" so your inflating one intake and disperses air evenly to both bags. Another thing I did was place the air intake inside the cabin of the truck and went out a bought an in expensive 12 volt craftsmen compressor and can fill bags inside the truck if need be....

Good luck!

I did get the T connector and a cheap air compressor. I put my valve behind the fuel door.