First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone, I posted a week ago asking about a boat I was looking to buy. Well last Saturday morning I drove an hour and half to pick her up. The trailer bearings needed replacing and the lights on the trailer all needed redone.

This is what I know:
She's 14' with a Gator trailer in rough shape.
Evinrude 40hp with electric shift.

Here are some pics I posted prior to buying, I thought she was brown:
004.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

I took her to the carwash after bringing her back to Austin, turns out its light tan:
ccc27e6d.jpg

4b650d67.jpg

31a73a44.jpg

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice
Re: First Boat Project 1960s cruiser 14'

The first day I did a few things. I removed all of the hardware, steering and such. Took apart the throttle thing and chipped away at all the fiberglass on the floor to look at the wood. NOT GOOD haha.

434ce09f.jpg

96c92f0a.jpg

6e63358c.jpg

065240e7.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Cool boat you got there. Looks fast just sitting there. She needs some work, but nothig the posts here can't get you thrtough. I love the old motor and Gator trailer too. Keep us posted. We love pics!

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have fun, they are a treat to do. Looking at that motor reminds me of when I was younger pops brought home an old Sea King with the same Electric shift and engine. Enjoy and congrats...

BTW how far away did that boat make it from Pipestone, MN when you fouund it?

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! It was bought in Spring Branch, TX and brought to Austin, TX. I have a question, I was able to peel the fiberglass off the wood deck for the most part. I was going to begin smashing the wood and ripping up but I thought it might be a good idea to leave it and make a template using cardboard of the wood. What do you guys think?

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Here's what went down today:
My wife and I built a motor stand and then somehow managed to carry the motor to the stand. BTW drilled some holes in the transom and probably as you guys guessed by looking at the deck. ROTTEN!

6e0358f1.jpg

c9398d38.jpg

c248a124.jpg

c0244a3d.jpg

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

I also removed the million screws holding in the rub rail. Plan to make that white again, any tips?
This is what I found underneath, seems like it might be easy getting the cap off. I was thinking to get one of those flimsy hand saws and prying beneath and slowly making my way around. I was able to pry a little between with a flathead. What do you guys think?

359a0933.jpg

90ada5af.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why you started a New Thread but... Looks like you got a good start on the boat. I just rebuilt my motor which is EXACTLY the same as yours. Check out my thread for pics. You should be able to lift the cap and slide some 2x4's under it and lift it off. Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of these.
image_3709.jpg

It's like a Scotch brite pad for a Drill.

Then mix up a paste using some Sno-Bol Cleaner

and some Comet Cleanser. Brush it on your rub rail and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then get a Misting bottle of water and mist it down and go to town with the scrubbing ball and the drill. You will NOT belive how White that strip will get.

This is the Paint to use to touch up your Motor

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem64063.html

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome thanks Wood. I started a new thread because I feel like the first one was to more ask questions about buying the boat. This is only for restoring! What do you think about using one of those flimsy hand saws to start separating. I started with flathead but felt I might crack something. BTW I live 2 blocks from a Harbor Freight which is great!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it appears that the top cap is still "Stuck" then Yes use some sort of saw to get in the joint and cut it loose.

This is a link for any Tune up parts you might need for the Motor.

http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newp...ncludes Gale, Sea King up to 1963, and others

Send Me a PM with you personal email address and I'll send you a copy of the repair manual for the motor in case you need to do any work in it.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know what this boat is? These pics are all I can find of what might identify it. Does that plate mean anything or just something the dealer slapped on? The seller thought it was a Lone Star but I don't see anything on it that would indicate that.

b663e424.jpg

aeb3fbf9.jpg

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat would have been built in Pipestone, I will make a call tomorrow and ask my pops if he has any knowledge of that make. Since he has been in the boat biz most his life, and Pipestone was pretty close to where I lived for a bit, he may have some clue.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ichyarp!
Would you guys use the wood left as a template? I don't see anything wrong in this idea.

kfa4303

Banned

Some folks use very thin ply wood as a template, but I've seen other folks use blue/pink sheets of foam, or the carbbpoard you mentioned. The main thisng is that you wnat something that's not to expensive incase you mess up on of the templates. It helps if the material is a bit flexible too. I actually saw a guy on TV the other day trace out templates on clear sheets of acetate, then transfer the pattern to the plywood for cut out. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If they are good representations of what was there then absolutely use them as your templates. REMEMBER this is NOT Rocket Science. It does NOT have to be perfect. Make some marks on the sides of the hull so you will KNOW where the original deck was and then you can run some string lines to ensure that the stringers and deck are back to where they should be when you are finished.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Great, yeah the boards are showing perfect. The fiberglass on top came off pretty easily so I can use that as a template. I'm leaving in the morning for a 5 day fishing trip down in Port Mansfield so there wont be any updates till I get back. I might try to clean the rub rail when I get off tonight.

imatt86

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know how to get these off? I got one screw removed successfully, the rest are stripped. Any tips?

6e08edf1.jpg

a62a00ca.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Can you get to the backside? Mine actually had small nuts on them. If not then you may have to GENTLY try and pry them off, go to Harbor Freight and get a White rubber mallet and tap on em a bit.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I noticed your aluminum trim is very corroded. Use the Sanding Ball that you will use for the Rub rail on em and then go the HF and spend $20 and get this. You won't Believe what your aluminum will look like when you polish it with this rouge. It will shine like Chrome!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piec...kit-98707.html

image_4167.jpg