Swapping OMC 400 and OMC Cobra outdrive

Fredge1

Cadet
Is this a quick swap?

The 400 would go where the Cobra was on a Grew 183. At first look (boats are 2 hours apart) it would appear the 400 transom hole is bigger, meaning that I have to cut a bigger transom hole in the Grew.

Thoughts?

superbenk

Commander
Re: Swapping OMC 400 and OMC Cobra outdrive

No. Nothing compatible between the two.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Yer going the Wrong way....

Why go through the work of moving Backwards,..??

superbenk

Commander

If you need a new outdrive on that boat, look at SEI. They sell a kit to convert an OMC Cobra motor & coupler to a Merc Alpha drive. SEI even sells a work-alike/look-alike version of the Merc drive that you can buy brand new with a warranty cheaper than a real Merc. If I had a Cobra, that's what I'd be looking seriously into doing.

Fredge1

Cadet

Thanks for the advice I will look into the SEI

In the mean time I need to get the 400 omc off of the 3.0 motor and pull the motor.

I ordered the wrong manuel from Selco, and it will take a few days to get the right one.

Any one know how to remove a 400 omc outdrive?

superbenk

Commander

Thanks for the advice I will look into the SEI

In the mean time I need to get the 400 omc off of the 3.0 motor and pull the motor.

I ordered the wrong manuel from Selco, and it will take a few days to get the right one.

Any one know how to remove a 400 omc outdrive?

I'm confused - are you fixing a Cobra or a Stringer? They are 2 COMPLETELY different drives. We need to know which one you're talking about in this thread.

Removing a Stringer drive is pretty easy - disconnect the shift cable from inside the shift converter box at the top back of the engine, remove the half-moon quadrant gear that tilts the drive (3 bolts), remove the trunion pivot covers & the whole drive should come forward (be prepared to support it before removing trunion covers!). Once off, easy the shift cable through the intermediate housing and keep it gently coiled (they're $600 to replace!).

You didn't mention the age of the Stringer. The above is for a 1978& newer (hydro or full mechanical shift) - older models were electric, so they'd have a wire instead of a cable for the shifting mechanism.

Get a manual before you tackle anything big.

superbenk

Commander

Btw, a SEI conversion kit won't work on a Stringer - only a Cobra drive can be converted.