25 horse torque steer out of control

milmo1

Seaman Apprentice
I have an early '80s Johnson 25 horse outboard tiller drive. The motor runs quite well, but at any speed, if I let go of the tiller handle, it torques over (port or starboard - I can't recall) hard. Of course how fast and hard it torques is speed dependent. Even at moderate speeds, though, it can be enough to knock you down and almost overboard.

My guess is there is a friction control of some sort for this which may be loose or broken. Any ideas/help on how to adjust or repair this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 25 horse torque steer out of control

Under the lower cover on the exhaust housing,there is a screw with a strong looking spring,That is a tension screw for the play you speak of,Just tighten that screw untill it has the tension you prefer.

Part #72 is the spring part # 73 is the screw HERE
http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/43918.cfm

milmo1

Seaman Apprentice

very cool. I will check that adjustment this evening and post back. Thanks for the help!

dazk14

Ensign

Trim angle also affects torque steer.

Tucked in trim will generally yield opposite torque steer from fully trimmed out.

Fisher freak

Seaman Apprentice

if your prop is bent or damaged it will cause this, but im going with what dew2 mentioned.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, if the motor isn't bang-on centered on the transom, you can get a wash from the keel of the boat that will mess up the water flow over the unit, affecting steering.

milmo1

Seaman Apprentice

Well, try as I might, I cannot locate the spring and screw to adjust resistance. My motor is not electric start (as in the diagram) and I'm not sure if that is why I can't find it. Prop appears straight and true. Position on the transom was squared up a couple times to make sure it was ok.
???