Engine not shutting off - 1987 evenrude 140 V4 VRO outboard

dsen

Cadet
Greetings,

I have a 1987 Evenrude 140 V4 VRO outboard that wont shut off with key switch. All the gauges shut down but motor continues to run. It will not shut off when lanyard is pulled either.

I have recently replaced power-pack but had boat out for a test run and no problem. However, only had to shut motor off one time that day when putting on trailer. On the next trip the 1st time I went to shut it down I had to choke it out in order to get it to shut off.

This motor is connected via original 1987 E100WTXCUA 1987 Evinrude / Johnson Evinrude REMOTE CONTROL.

That can been viewed here... http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1987/E100WTXCUA 1987/REMOTE CONTROL/parts.html

Any ideas would be appreciated.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Engine not shutting off - 1987 evenrude 140 V4 VRO outboard

Check your wiring harness for a broken wires at the controls and under the cowl. The kill switch circuit is not completing.

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe the wire you're looking for is the black with yellow stripe that comes from the ignition switch/killswitch and runs to the powerpack. When you turn the motor off it should ground this wire. If this wire is open the coils don't ground when you turn the key to the off position or activate the kill switch and the motor stays running. I'd check at the powerpack first and see if it got knocked loose during the swap.

dsen

Cadet

I believe the wire you're looking for is the black with yellow stripe that comes from the ignition switch/killswitch and runs to the powerpack. When you turn the motor off it should ground this wire. If this wire is open the coils don't ground when you turn the key to the off position or activate the kill switch and the motor stays running. I'd check at the powerpack first and see if it got knocked loose during the swap.

What does this circuit do when completed? Does it send ground to the coils?

ooops just re-read your post and see that is what is does.

dsen

Cadet

Thank you guys for the advise.

As it turned out, when I had pulled the plug on the black and yellow wire when I was replacing power pack, I somehow pulled the prong back in the rubber boot. It was not make a good connection when plugged in. I pushed the prong back where it belonged, plugged it back in and problem solved. Thanks again!

Darrell

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good deal - nice when its an easy fix!