Darn, 303 Enfield stock cracked again, refurb w/ synthetic?

ezbtr

Commander
Can't find any replacement original stocks/forestocks, and I really don't want to change anything on my Enfield(keep it original) but I want to shoot it!! Should I just make it a sniper version??

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Darn, 303 Enfield stock cracked again, refurb w/ synthetic?

Don't shoot them and they won't split. I have a full wood, never fired 303 "still in cosmoline" with 200 rounds of old issue ammo.....the elements really harm these old guns, especially the full barrel wood ones.
Good luck on finding what you need.:)

ezbtr

Commander

Don't shoot them and they won't split. I have a full wood, never fired 303 "still in cosmoline" with 200 rounds of old issue ammo.....the elements really harm these old guns, especially the full barrel wood ones.
Good luck on finding what you need.:)

Hell no don't shoot them!! One of my favorites and so accurate! I've had this one a good 15 yrs I think?? All my guns are shooters, and otherwise this is in great shape.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Hell no don't shoot them!! One of my favorites and so accurate! I've had this one a good 15 yrs I think?? All my guns are shooters, and otherwise this is in great shape.
Except for ruined vintage stock.....Ah go ahead and shoot yours, they are not worth much anyhow... except in vintage.:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well......... repair the vintage stock using epoxy...... the same stuff we use in the restoration section (west systems). You should look into bedding the action too for added strength and it will actually improve the accuracy. Brownells makes a bedding kit for actions but it is essentially epoxy.

My custom built 30-06 is based on a Mauser 98 action that is epoxy bedded into a wood stock. The bedding is so accurate that the proof marks on the bottom of the action are visible in the bedding compound. Now that is close!

aspeck

Staff member

Maybe we can work out a deal, Heinz, I have an Enfield and would like to "sporterize" her ...

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The stocks usually split because the inletting or mating surface was not correct. Bedding the next one will help spread the load and minimize the chances of the wood splitting. Ebay is full of cheap Enfield stocks.

BF

Lieutenant

while finding another stock shouldn't be a real problem, you should definitely fix the old one anyway. Would be fine for a shooter. Spread crack open and clean well with acetone, use Acraglass epoxy, and drill stock and also use threaded brass pins with acraglass across the crack. Pre-drill the holes and then screw in threaded brass machine screws. After acraglass hardens, cut the heads off the screws and use a dremel and small bit to take the brass down below the surface of the wood. Then you can make up a little more acraglass to fill in the "dimples". The acraglass kit comes with dye so you can tint it. I fixed one like this (not an enfield) and unless I point out the repair, friends handling it have never noticed. Stronger than new. (this is a 103 year old Savage 1899, so I wanted to keep the original wood on it)