Very strong exhaust fumes/smell, is this normal?

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990, 90 Hp, Johnson. The exhaust fume smell is very overwhelming. I thought the exhaust was outputted underwater, so why is the smell so bad? Could there be a leak somewhere in my exhaust housing and some of the gas is leaking out of the engine before it goes underwater?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Very strong exhaust fumes/smell, is this normal?

There is a reason sailboaters call outboards "stinkpots". Some people actually like the smell, others can't tolerate it. BTW, underwater exhaust doesn't stay under water. Being bubbles, it all rises to the surface sooner or later.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

These V4 crossflows have a history of leaking base gaskets when the engine gets older. When that gasket starts to go, you can get exhaust leaks inside the cowling. Remove the cowling, run the engine and see if that is the case. While not a fatal problem, it is messy. In addition, the exhaust gas can get recirculated into the airbox and back into the running engine-not a good thing long term.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There's nothing like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Are you using synthetic oil??? I do not like the smell of that...much prefer traditional oil!

Mas

astampfel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help everyone! I use traditional 2 stroke oil and I'll go ahead and check the gaskets when I have time. It's looking like I just need to learn to enjoy the smell :).

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Another smell that is really good is a carb gummed up with old varnished fuel. Thats smells like money. LOL.

These V4 crossflows have a history of leaking base gaskets when the engine gets older. When that gasket starts to go, you can get exhaust leaks inside the cowling.

After you remove the cowl if you have a leak their should be soot detectable with your finger when rubbed along the mating surfaces of the adapter and P/H.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1990, 90 Hp, Johnson. The exhaust fume smell is very overwhelming. I thought the exhaust was outputted underwater, so why is the smell so bad? Could there be a leak somewhere in my exhaust housing and some of the gas is leaking out of the engine before it goes underwater?

Of course there is---the exhaust relief ports on the backside of the midsection. Exhaust is supposed to come out there. It would be hard to start and would not idle well if those relief holes were not there.