Motor up or down?

Capt.Dummy

Recruit
I've been told several different stories, but need the truth.....While parked in the driveway should the motor be up or down?

Re: Motor up or down?

IMHO the only time it really matters is in the winter in below freezing temperatures. In that situation you need to leave the motor down so water can't collect in the prop hub area, freeze, and break something.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

For an I/O, I would leave the motor in a postion that put the least amount of stress on the bellows - down for the most part. And as stated in the previous post, this is most important in cold weather when rubber is least pliable.

I don't think that anything will happen if you always leave it up. The water doesn't drain out of my motor unless it is all the way down so that's where I leave it. I tend to like to park my toys in a way that gravity is doing the least harm. Therefore, I don't have the motor fighting gravity in an up position.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

additional considerations:
when down, it's not in the way.
If it's down you don't want it touching the ground, and remember to raise it before moving it, if clearance is close, especially down a typical suburban driveway.
Those who know the insides better than I could opine about the oil/gas in the carbs, etc. I have a Yam 50 that doesn't like to start, after it hasn't been run awhile, unless it's all the way down.

ultra_1968

Seaman Apprentice

So, to clarify, I CAN trim my lower unit (I/O) down while parked in the garage? I could sure use the extra couple inches.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sure can. Just watch the skeg on the ground....... a small piece of wood protects it nicely.

oldjeep

Admiral

Sure can. Just watch the skeg on the ground....... a small piece of wood protects it nicely.

And put a note on the hitch so you remember to put it back up before pulling it out of the garage;) I never lower mine in my garage, but had to put it down when I stored it in the lake house garage for the first time last winter (garage not as deep). Forgot it was down when I pulled the boat out - no damage done but it could have been bad if I had continued down the road that way.