Happy Troller?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I picked up a new Happy Troller (never installed) at a garage sale for $20. I figured that at that price I could always sell it on Craigslist. This is the smaller version (50HP or less) and also the improved version. Any reason not to install it? I do mostly small lakes and rivers. I do have a real electric trolling motor, but it might be nice to not require it when I have a heavier friend in the boat. That way, I could remove my Group 31 Optima and the trolling motor, too.

TerryMSU

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Happy Troller?

If you install it, be careful not to give the engine too much power. It is mounted on the engine cavitation plate and you can break that with too much power. I cut a hydrofoil out of aluminum plating and mounted that under the cavitation plate, after I cracked mine. The trolling plate mounts on the top. It reinforced the welds, I think. I can troll 1 1/2 mph all day with my 40 hp now. Course every couple hours I pop it in neutral and rev it up awhile to blow the gunk out of it. Local boat shop told me it was a good idea when they saw it.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

They work great I used to troll all day long with a 85 HP Johnson at 1-1 1/2 MPH all day never had a problem with them..

Eyeman

Seaman

Had one on a 17' Tuffy walleye boat rigged with a 70 HP Johnson - Best set up ever. Never loaded up, was easy to handle and caught lots of fish.:) Unfortunately, every so often, I'd forget to pull the cord to release it and the thrust was strong enought to bend the aluminum trolling plate. After I couldn't get on plan, I'd remember, pull the cord and away I'd go. Ended up having it welded one time.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Think I woulda rather bent the plate than put cracks in the cavitation plate right next to the motor. But as you say pull the rope to raise before you start. And make sure it raised. Mine only released 1 side when I damaged my motor.