Be carefull out there

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Wash. State Camino Island .just a short drive from here . Open day for boating 5 people in a 18 ft ?? took two waves and capsized all in the water, ! drowned the rest rescued. Not a one was wearing a life jacket. Only the tip of the bow was showing, Damn shame At least Adults should know better and may be sited by the Coast Guard.. agin BE CAREFULL. Pugetsound

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Be carefull out there

That really is a shame, to bad it has to cost someone thier life for others to figure stuff out. And I am betting that at least one of them will still not wear a PFD. When it is time to splash the Islander, I am going to have those inflatable ones so that it can be worn all day and not be uncomfortable.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

A Marysville man has died and a young teenager is hospitalized after an 18-foot boat capsized Saturday morning while shrimp fishing off Camano Island.

Authorities were alerted after the boat, with four adults and a 13-year-old boy aboard, overturned off the southern tip of Camano Island at about 7:15 a.m., said First Sgt. Robert Goetz of the Everett police.

Officials said the vessel was hit by two or more waves that swamped and overturned it as winds kicked up on the water.

"As far as I know they took waves over the back of the boat," said Deputy Chief Rob Johnson of the Tulalip Bay Fire Department. "Two or three large waves over the back of the boat, which caused the boat to fill with water and go down."

Some civilian boaters were first on the scene and were able to pull the four adults from the frigid water. One of them, a 68-year-old Marysville man, was transported to Tulalip Marina where local emergency medical teams pronounced him dead.

The 13-year-old could not be found and was believed to be pinned under the boat.

Multiple rescue boats and a Coast Guard rescue helicopter from Air Station Port Angeles were dispatched to the scene. A Coast Guard rescue swimmer found the 13-year-old under the boat and was able to free the boy.

The rescue swimmer then moved the teen to the Coast Guard rescue boat crew, who began performing CPR until he was hoisted to the helicopter and airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He was later taken to Children's Hospital.

The boy's condition was not immediately available, but witnesses at the scene told KOMO News he was underwater for at least 40 minutes before he was rescued.

Reports indicate that no one in the capsized vessel was wearing a lifejacket, the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The air temperature was 48 degrees and the water temperature was 46 degrees at the time of the incident, the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The other passengers in the boat were cold and wet, and were treated for mild hypothermia.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo...-near-Camano-Island-1370473.php#ixzz1Lm8mww12

Not a good way to start the season, sad.
GLG

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone is having a bad Mothers day, Whats the longest someone has survived under water ?

KellyC

I am not sure how long is the longest, I do know of a person that was under for 45 min but was in much colder water. The colder the water the better chance of someone surviving a drowning.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Las I heard the boy was under water for 40 min. wsa still holding on thi morning Water temp 42 air temp 43. To cold for me. Have a good evening .

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even with the mamalian diving reflex "ie cold water drowning" The statistics on cardiac arrests are so horribly low you sometimes wonder why we work anyone after they arrest. Were talking #'s like less than 1% for a traumatic arrest and about 4% for medical arrests. Your heart stops your pretty much screwed. Even if they survive your almost always never the person you were before. Brain's with a lack of oxygen don't come out well. I pulled a little girl and her father from a lake about a month ago water temps of 40 degrees the girl was in for less than 10mins and the father was about 50mins. Niether of them survived. The girl was wearing a pfd but cold water on little bodies does not go well. Its very very sad :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Even with the mamalian diving reflex "ie cold water drowning" The statistics on cardiac arrests are so horribly low you sometimes wonder why we work anyone after they arrest. Were talking #'s like less than 1% for a traumatic arrest and about 4% for medical arrests. Your heart stops your pretty much screwed.

On TV it seems to be more like 80% :p

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Saturday a boat (I heard it was a 38' but I'm not sure) hit a sunken log in the St. Clair river and sank, but thankfully everyone was rescued- not exactly a good start to the boating season!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

No kidding EZ!! The things "TV" has taught people, Its hilarious sometimes. It is also sad though because when you tell people you are doing CPR on their loved ones and trying everything you can. They dont realize that means they probably are going to stay dead. Because TV taught them people live when we do cpr and shock people.

KellyC

No kidding EZ!! The things "TV" has taught people, Its hilarious sometimes. It is also sad though because when you tell people you are doing CPR on their loved ones and trying everything you can. They dont realize that means they probably are going to stay dead. Because TV taught them people live when we do cpr and shock people.

This is heart breaking FJ, been there many times myself. I was an EMT for 13 years and of all those years only a few ever survived past the CPR stage. Just like you said, they saw it on TV then it must be true that you can save thier loved one. Oh how I wish it was true my friend

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You and me both! kelly. Or the people that dont think about their 90 sum yr old mom or grandma or grandpa and dont get a DNR order in place so your required by law to treat them as a full code unless they meet strict DOA protocols. So you end up brutally crushing thier chest shoving tubes in their throat needles in thier shins drugs drugs and more drugs. They are 90 they lived a GREAT life just let them go in peace. Then if you do get spontaneuos return of circulation, the family a week from then is just making the decision to terminate care. And you know no one wants to make that decision. I hate that the most. I know most people if they could tell you would say just let me go.