Mercury 7.5 with Thunderbolt ignition question

Michaelging

Recruit
My Father-in-law bought a used Mercury 7.5 horsepower outboard on a fishing boat. He is trying to change the plugs, but can't figure out how to remove the cowling. He is 78 yrs old and a smart mechanical person, but can not find the catch. In outboards I have owned they have a lever on the back of the outboard or slide latches that pull out from the motor. He says he can't find the release. I suspect its a 1970's model. I would appreciate any and all help.

MIchael

bluemonster1

Cadet
Re: Mercury 7.5 with Thunderbolt ignition question

on the back of the cover where the rear grab bar is,the release levers are on the inside of the grab bar on both sides.I had the same issue and couldn't believe I couldn't figure it out myself..but finally did...lol

bluemonster1

Cadet

here are a couple of pics for ya...

Attachments

• P5100080.JPG
    P5100080.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P5100081.JPG
    P5100081.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 1

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

g'day, very late reply, you've probably got the thing off by now...or hurled it somewhere
but on my early 70's blueband 7.5 the catch is at the front on the right hand side, just to the right of the choke, it has a "plastic" lever that protrudes through the bottom of the lower cowl/ housing,
trouble is ( on mine anyway ) the lever gets brittle and breaks off, there's not even a stub left showing so you wouldn't even know that's where it was if you didn't know,
l temporarily "fixed" mine years ago by drilling a very small hole in the housing and wrapping some tie wire through it and adding a key ring as the 'handle' LOL,
"one" day l'll fix it properly, not being used much now