Correct fuse question

Art Bernard

Banned
Hi all, does anyone know off hand what the correct size of fuse is for-nav lights, horn, bildge pump, and a radio are? This is a small bay boat, nothing special or heavy duty. All the wiring is good to go, but all the fuses were missing so i put a new fuse block in and I really want to get this right (fire at sea is bad juju). Thx Much.

Art

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Correct fuse question

ok from a automotive standpoint i would go with 10amps for nav lights 20amps for horn not sure on bildge pump but most fuel pumps are 20 amps and 2amp for radio if it is just a basic headunit

yonu

Edit ok guess I was wrong but like I said based I it on a automotive standpoint

Moody Blue

Captain

What nav lights do you have? Single bow light and stern light? If so, I would fuse at no more than 5A.

Horn would be a wild guess without knowing the type of horn. Look on the horn for a current rating and choose a fuse a few amps higher.

Bilge pump should have a decal on it stating the current draw. Choose a fuse rating a few amps higher. Mine is fused at 7A.

2A-3A for the radio is a good guess.

The fuse is there to protect the circuit against short circuits and fires. Over rating fuses is dangerous.

Art Bernard

Banned

Bow is a single red/green mount, stern is single removeable mount. The horn is one of those dual carhorn set-ups (hehe, boat is a 77 viking and the horn sounds like a 77 Ford LTD). No sticker on bildge pump, but it is a 500gph pump. I appreciate the info.

Art

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

7.5 amps on the bilge pump and 5 amps is plenty for the nav lights.

beagleboy

Seaman

Rule of thumb 10% higher for the fuse then what is required. Note of caution re your horns, they may need a relay depending what they are particularly if your using automotive horns.