Mercury 850 problems

MillerSVT

Cadet
Well I rebuilt the carbs on my Merc 850 outboard, now It'll turn over fine. Fires if I put gas in the cylinders but won't fire on its own. Primed it until there was gas coming out of the carbs. I did notice more seemed to be coming out of the top carb than the bottom one. I'm stumped.

I did do a compression test with some pretty poor results a couple weeks ago but I'm not sure if it was due to the crappy tester or not and haven't had time to purchase one.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Mercury 850 problems

Did you use new gaskets, needle and seat when you rebuilt the carbs? Set the float level's? There should not be gas coming out when pumping the primer bulb.

MillerSVT

Cadet

Did you use new gaskets, needle and seat when you rebuilt the carbs? Set the float level's? There should not be gas coming out when pumping the primer bulb.

all new gaskets, needles and what not. Was a parts from mercury. The replacement floats were all plastic (the arms and everything) so how would you go about setting the level?

MillerSVT

Cadet

obviously i did not set the floats... FAIL. Where do you measure from when setting the floats. Looks like it's coming apart tomorrow....

MillerSVT

Cadet

Anyone out there able to tell me how to measure the float level?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Side bowl carbs, right?

Sure invert the carb covers. The levers should be straight across, parallel with the carb cover. Turn the carb cover right side up, There should be 1/4" between the carb levers.