i might be getting a sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my birthday is monday and my moms friend i do land scaping for is wanted to sell his boat nice boat don't have a name or pics yet but it is a 16' sailboat. this boat has three sails main, jib, spinicker, has swing keel, a trailer, and 3.0 gamefisher motor. It's bin sitting for 3 years. the sails and motor in house. the boat is just a bit dirty. need's to be powered washed but other than that i was told it works great. the owner only use it once. than put a tarp over it. what do you think. i don't know the year but it's a Canadian boat.

mmuutts

Seaman
Re: i might be getting a sailboat

Go for it! Sounds like a great little boat...Tap with a little ball point hammer and make sure there are know soft spots on the hull and deck...Replacce the standing rigging and you should be good to go...have fun!

Getting sailboat

Getting sailboat

i'm getting a sailboat for my birthday it is a 16' mistral. the boat is on a trailer has a 3hp motor and a spinicker sail. also a outboard motor bracket. should i leave the motor on or off the boat? also was thinking of putting the boat trailer on the beach and pushing it in the water and having a come a long to a tree and pull it back out when done. my dad use to do this when he was young and idea or thoughts about this new boat. i'm getting it sunday for 500 and i will post pics when i get it. it needs a good cleaning has bin sitting three years with the tarp on it. and on a angle. nice looking boat. can't wait to get it.

Mark SF

Seaman

The Mistral 16 is a Wayfarer clone. The Wayfarers are excellent boats, very seaworthy and an ideal boat to learn in, with due regard for safety of course.

For more help try Sailnet, and the UK and Canadian Wayfarer forums. The US Wayfarer forum is dead, and iboats is mainly for power boats.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

glad to see you are getting another boat.....especially a Canadian ...lol....found this info on the net on it....sounds like a great boat...
MWSnap118.jpg

Attachments

• MWSnap118.jpg
    MWSnap118.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
i got the sailboat

i got the sailboat

i got the boat today a mistral 16' has main, jib, spinnaker. boats nice for 500 sailboat 4.jpgsailboat 2.jpgsailboat 1.jpgsailboat 3.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: i got the sailboat

Well belated Happy Birthday and congratulations on the new to you sailboat.

thank and thanks for merging them just though about that after you did that

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congrats looks like it going to be fun!!!

rickryder

Commander

Happy Birthday SBL and congrats on your new sailboat!

SBL, Great find on the sailboat. Does this mean that the Chrysler Resto is over, or just put on hold until you get tired of sailing? LOL Have a fun summer.

nope the chrysler resto is will be done by end of june hopfully if the weather gets better but right now i wanna get the sailboat water ready so i can take it out any time i want. and then get right back on the chrysler resto the sailboat only needs a good cleaning and to get the mast rigged up. then set sail. got a little 3hp gamefisher with it runs for 3o seconds thats the max. i put new gas looks like a little crud in the tank and a small gas leak. don't need a motor on the sailboat but would like one.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

very nice boat......great deal for the price........." Long may your big jib draw".....that`s a Newfie expression for Good Luck

thanks and i did get a great deal i just found out today that the sails are north star or some thing like that supose to be good brand. so

Mark SF

Seaman

BTW, that aft compartment is supposed to have a lid on it, with a watertight gasket. It's essential as that compartment is intented to be sealed so that it provides bouyancy in a capsize.

the open rectangle? also i rigged up the boat today put up the sails and it looks amazing. just got to power wash it sometime this week. probably first trip on it memorial weekend with only the main sail until i get use to the boat.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the thread is almost two months old so hopefully he's been out sailing by now. What a cool little boat. I didn't see a spinnaker pole but that should be too hard to find. Hopefully someone with experience flying a spinnaker will show him the ropes. Any updates?

yes ive bin sailing many time on the boat getting good at sailing it. going to rig up the spinnaker in a week or so and have and good sailer show me how to use the spinnaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.