Paint and primer

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone recomend paint and primer? I am looking for non-aerosol. I have a pair of OMC outdrives. I have used Moeller for both before. But is there a better type of paint to use. And how much does a clear top coat really help for longevity? I usually keep my boat in a brackish water marina.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Paint and primer

Ayuh,... I rattlecan spray Rustoleum on my Merc annually...

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know where I can buy green zinc chromate and outdrive paint that is non aerosol?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If you have a marine growth issue you will need to use an anti fouling paint, there are few different kinds out there but the main thing is that the paint must be compatible with aluminum. You can use Trilux II after properly preparing the drive and transom mount, it takes 3 coats of the Primocon primer and then 2 coats of Trilux II. You will get better results if you brush on as much as you can, the spray is too thin to last even half the season around here. I used a whole can of spray on the inner areas of the transom mount you can't reach with a brush (painted everything including the trim lines and bellows, they will all get covered with growth otherwise). I brushed on the rest of the drive, trim cylinders, transom mount outside surfaces etc. A nasty job for sure.

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have my boat in the San Joaquin Delta here in CA. The water is not the cleanest, and the electrolsis at our marina is bad. I sand blasted my outdrives in November, and took the boat out for some work in Feb., and there was not a lot of growth, but they just looked not so good, ya know?
I sand blasted them completely. I then used Moeller Zinc Chromate as a primer. Spraying 2 coats. I then used Moellers Engine Paint, OMC white. About 2 coats as well. I used heat to help dry them, several hours, and then they also sat for a few days. But I noticed that as careful as I was, the drives still scratched or nicked easy.
I would like to be able to paint them to look as good as when they were new. And to be a fairly durable, as far as scratching, etc., as when they where new. I am thinking of using a paint sprayer, so I need non-aerosol.
Can you reccomend a brand of paint, and primer? Also do you think a to clear coat would help?

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

*bumpCan you reccomend a brand of paint, and primer? Also do you think a to clear coat would help?

Ayuh,... Like I said, Rustoleum...

Forget the clear coat...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I then used Moellers Engine Paint

Engine paint?
I wonder how many of the engines see duty outside the hull, in the water?
You might try using paint formulated for the environment it is used in.

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It said engine paint, but I believe it was designed for outdrives. Seeing how the color was OMC white.