Starcraft transom

grantewell

Recruit
O,k I'm new, so any way I just bought my second boat ever, the first was a 14 ft. aluminum but I needed a bigger boat. The new one is a 1975 15 ft. Starcraft Capri. And I have 2 questions. one is the PO installed a 1965 mercury 50 horse and says that it dose not plain well. the boat is rated to 85 hp. Is this too small of a motor? The second question is, to install this motor they cut 3 in. out of the transom the get the shaft length right. is there a way to fix this with out replacing to transom?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft transom

Welcome to iBoats!! That 50HP should be able to bring that boat up on plane with no problem. You MIGHT have a Weight problem caused by waterlogged foam. I am NOT sure if that Make/Model of boat used floatation foam but if it did and IF it has become waterlooged it can ad 3-500 lbs of additional weight. Can you lift the front of the boat by hand when it is on the trailer?? If Not then I would suspect waterlogged foam below the deck. As for the cut out transom, you could install a Jack Plate to cure that issue. Here's a link..

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/f184/how-i-built-jack-plate-my-catfish-boat-38827.html

Do some reading here on the forum on how to inspect your boat for Transom, Stringer and Foam issues.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

O,k I'm new, so any way I just bought my second boat ever, the first was a 14 ft. aluminum but I needed a bigger boat. The new one is a 1975 15 ft. Starcraft Capri. And I have 2 questions. one is the PO installed a 1965 mercury 50 horse and says that it dose not plain well. the boat is rated to 85 hp. Is this too small of a motor? The second question is, to install this motor they cut 3 in. out of the transom the get the shaft length right. is there a way to fix this with out replacing to transom?

The old rule of thumb is no less than 25 to 30% of the rated horse power for good performance. In your case 30% would be 59.5 (which of course would be 60HP) So your 50 will push it but its certainly on the way low end of the best performance for your boat.

Now Wood is very accurate on the weight of waterlogged foam. I've seen over 500 lbs (hard to believe, I know). The fact that they cut out the transom on your Tinny bothers me...it was done because they installed the wrong shaft size engine, I don't believe it doing that myself. The boat was designed for a long shaft and that's what should be there. Anyway..damage done, won't hurt the boat really, just not the best idea in my book.

A jack plate or some welding and new plywood to get her back like it was...but of course then you're going to have to look for another outboard....hmmm decisions decisions.

grantewell

Recruit

Thank you that was very helpful. I don't know about the foam either but the way the transom was cut left the side of the cut open and they applied what looks like black RTV silicone to seal it. So after some inspection I know at least the top of the transom is solid. I have also inspected the floor and it is solid as well. It is possible from the condition of the interior, that the interior and the floor have been replaced.

grantewell

Recruit

This is the boat I will post more later

Attachments

• boat 001.jpg
    boat 001.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 002.jpg
    boat 002.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I good running 50 should be able to easily plane a small tri-hull with a light load.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I am wondering what makes you thinkg they cut 3" out of the transom. It looks pretty standard to me.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OH CRAP!!!!!

I JUST noticed the CUT out in the Center where the motor mounts.:eek: I assume he was thinkg that the transom should be straight across and was referring to the natural dip on the sides.

OH WELL Like I said, My eyes ARE 60 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ, SHOOT me NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!