bypass esa ?

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer
i think i need a new esa cuz when it is pluged in i get no spark at all and then when i unplug it i get spark. i was looking online how to test the esa to see if it is good or not. i forgot where i seen it but a omc mech for 35 years said you can just unplug main cut out switch then connect one wire from the switch to a ground and another wire to the neg side of the coil. that will make it a merc setup he said, so will that work???

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: bypass esa ?

I don't think that Yahoo dude knows what he's talking about.

The OMC ESA causes the ignition to "pulse" which causes torque "pulses".....all while you have "out-of-gear" pressure on the shift cable.

When the torque on the dog-clutches is low enough, they separate. (into neutral)

Using the Merc system, (just an ignition interrupter) You may not have enough out-of gear "pressure" on the cable when the switch activates......and the engine just quits.

OMC didn't design the ESA just because they wanted it to be more complicated (and cost more money) I'll bet $100 that they tried an ignition interrupt switch and found that it didn't work well every time.

I would put another ESA in the thing.

ymmv..........

Rick

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like you already did
when it is pluged in i get no spark at all and then when i unplug it i get spark.

assuming your switches and cables are adjusted and working ok, with all linkage centered in neutral, the ESA should not affect spark

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

howard what happend was the coil spark plug fell off and it was sparking on the pos side of the coil and i think one of them 2 wires go to the esa. when i seen the spark hitting the pos side of the coil i stoped the motor and pluged in the spark plug wire and the motor did not start so i pluged in a spark tester and i got nothing then i unpluged the esa and i got spark. my ? is can i test the esa to see if it is good or not????

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

what happend was the coil spark plug fell off and it was sparking on the pos side of the coil and i think one of them 2 wires go to the esa.

I think that would thoroughly ZAP the ESA. It probably shorted the output transistor in it. The ESA is epoxy potted solid state electronics. apply 30+KV to the output and it will fail....

Sorry about that!