flotation foam removial

tassomak

Cadet
im removing the foam from my 21' 7"1978 sea ray cuddy 220 with a fiberglass hull its all waterlogged my question is do i have to put any foam back in or can i just put a new deck on and go with it

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: flotation foam removial

I am rebuilding my Sea Ray, and I am going to go back with the foam for structural support and sound dampning. Check out the thread from friscoeboater on his Sea Ray. He is doing a very well documented restoration with video. Thanks, Steven

Jay's (friscoeboater) restoration thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Flotation is debated by many builders on this forum, but the way I read it any boat under 20' (ive heard 16') require flotation. Try a search, this topic is covered often, or read the link below.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Also,

I see you live in Wash PA; I just moved from Morgantown and worked in SW PA for several years. I spent many hours on the Mon. through SWPA....I would suggest as much flotation as you can find...between coal barges, general traffic, and sh** heads on the river your begging for an accident.

Mike

tassomak

Cadet

thanks man i think i agree and gonna go ahead and put the pool noodles in for my flotation then cover up with my deck what u think about that

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks man i think i agree and gonna go ahead and put the pool noodles in for my flotation then cover up with my deck what u think about that

Over time, the pool noodles will absorb water. Need to use a closed cell foam.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Over time, the pool noodles will absorb water. Need to use a closed cell foam.

NOPE, this is not correct!! Pool noodles ARE made from closed cell foam and will NOT absorb water over time. They are perfectly fine to use for floatation. Done all the time here on the forum, especially by the Tin Boat buys.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, what I meant was water getting trapped inside the hollow part of the noodle. Thanks, Steven

Decker83

Commander

I am doing a resto on a 1983 Deck Boat. It has a ton of foam in it. I will be replacing the foam in mine. I chose to do this because of the safety factor. If you hit something that fractures or puts a hole in your boat, the foam will slow down the water from coming in and possible let you get back to shore without being swamped. Noodles will not do this for you. All of the closed cell foam that I have read about are only 95% water proof. They will take on water over time. All you need to do is look at your foam... If you do decide to use foam, make sure you put it back in the proper way. Like 69rrvert said...Friscoboater is doing a great thread on this.. Lots of great ideals there... Lots of great ideals on iboats.
This may cost you more to refoam but in the long run it could save your life.

Attachments

• 100_1923.jpg
    100_1923.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1924.jpg
    100_1924.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0