my first time replacing a transom were to start

jonesg

Admiral
Re: my first time replacing a transom were to start

Section the wood by setting the depth on a circular saw to just shy of the glass, removing sections with a chisel is easier.
Once you have one square removed you can attack it sideways with a wonder bar (small flat crowbar) and hammer, try 12" square sections.

fastryker

Cadet

Thanks for the info. That helps me too as I'm new here, and have to tear out and replace a rotten transom as well. Good question and answer! I will probably start a thread soon and be asking for lots of advise from the masters. Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

You're gunna need a 4 1/2" grinder too!!! I like using a backup pad and 24 grit sanding discs. Makes short work of left over wood chunks and resin build up. MAKE SURE!!!!! to wear gloves, goggles, and a GOOD QUALITY respirator NOT a dust mask. Long Sleeve shirt or even better a Tyvek Suit

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iBoats!

You're gunna need a 4 1/2" grinder too!!! I like using a backup pad and 24 grit sanding discs. Makes short work of left over wood chunks and resin build up. MAKE SURE!!!!! to wear gloves, goggles, and a GOOD QUALITY respirator NOT a dust mask. Long Sleeve shirt or even better a Tyvek Suit

X2 on the safety equipment, especially the respirator. I have a full face that I use but a half face will work. Be sure and keep the gaurd on your grinder. The 36 grit sanding disc removes skin and meat in a flash. As for cutting the perimeter of your transom, you may get you a Dremel Multi Tool. That is what I used to get mine out. Good luck with your rebuild. Thanks, Steven

This is why you wear a respirator and Tyvek coveralls while grnding or cutting:
resized100_2813.jpg

This is what happens when you remove the grinder gaurd. This was two days ago (lol):
resized100_2817.jpg

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that my friend looks very Painfull!!!!!

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

that my friend looks very Painfull!!!!!

Actually, the initial hit was a little eye opening but it never did bleed. Needless to say, I went and bought a good pair of leather gloves and put the gaurd back on before finishing that side of the stringer. That 36 grit is a meat eater. Thanks, Steven

Bifflefan

Commander

Once your into it, its not a hard as you would think. Take your time and think each step through and you will do fine.
If yours is like mine you will need to make a jigsaw puzzle of pieces to put back in and then glue and screw them together as added. I had some pics in my photo album on here but cant seem to locate them now.

wavebuster1

Seaman

thank you guys i will be adding pics and most certainly more questions tomorrow

rickryder

Commander

Welcome Aboard wave! Plenty of threads on restorations to read! Friscoboater's is very good with videos and oop's hull extention thread is killer!! Mine has some good details also..... so many with great info :D Happy reading.

You have now entered the DRY DOCK!!

wavebuster1

Seaman

do i have to cut out a section of the floor to get all guts of the transom out or is there a way around that. and thanks for the welcome i would post pics but i dont no how to

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wave,

My signature has a link on how to post em. Make sure your Settings are set correctly

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

do i have to cut out a section of the floor to get all guts of the transom out or is there a way around that. and thanks for the welcome i would post pics but i dont no how to

Will need pictures of your bilge area to answer that question for sure

wavebuster1

Seaman

View attachment 93027 i just realizes this is a horrible picture but that is all the progress to date. in the morning i will take a better 1 now that i know how to post pics thanks wood

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pic doesn't show

wavebuster1

Seaman

please bear with me i trying to upload pics

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Still can't see them. Use photobucket.com. At least then I can help.