stuck in neutral

Rich33904

Cadet
It appears my stern drive is in neutral and will not shift into forward or reverse. I have checked the shift cable from the shift lever all the way to the stern drive connection and it is fine. With the shift ever in forward I can torn the propeller in either direction with no problem. If I turn it real fast in both directions there is a faint clicking noise Any ideas as to what the problrm might be would be helpful. It almost seems like the bearing on the propeller shaft is broken or a bad gear. Thank you for any ideas you might have. I have a 1993 ChrisCraft with an OMC Cobra stern drive.

Rich

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: stuck in neutral

I thought I would be crafty asking for the model, but now I'm more confused... 1993 was a transition year for omc as they were bought by Volvo and the hybrid SX drive was introduced.
but the 987342 number doesn't match that.

Does your shift cable end at the upper gearcase of the drive, or the gimbal housing / lower unit?

Rich33904

Cadet

The shift cable ends at the upper gearcase. This is a Volvo Penta and the stern drive says King Cobra

kminnich

Recruit

Sounds like the same problem I had see my post: Bell Crank 1986 Cobra

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Post a picture of your drive. I never thought the joint venture drive was ever called King Cobra.