Refurb a clutch dog?

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1965 Sportwin 9.5 that jumps out of gear. Wonder what the chances are that a fellow could pull the clutch dog and square up the engagement surfaces and reuse it? I thought I might try that and then flip it over so the returned side was now the reverse.

I know I sound cheap, but have you priced a new one? $100 for a little gear! I think it's worth trying an experiment at that price.

Anybody ever tried this?

kbait

Commander
Re: Refurb a clutch dog?

I've heard of folks successfully 'fixing' 'em, and many failures... I'd check availability and price of used:

timsoutboard.com 218-682-2331
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
trixieslanding.com Trixie?s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com/
Don's marine Salvage, 5601 126th Avenue North Clearwater, FL 33760 - (727) 576-8577

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1965 Sportwin 9.5 that jumps out of gear. Wonder what the chances are that a fellow could pull the clutch dog and square up the engagement surfaces and reuse it? I thought I might try that and then flip it over so the returned side was now the reverse.

I know I sound cheap, but have you priced a new one? $100 for a little gear! I think it's worth trying an experiment at that price.

Anybody ever tried this?

Problem there is ,If the clutchdog is popping out of gear then I'd bet the F gear is also bad.Either way one ruins the other.I tried to have some dogs and gears machined it costs as much as new gears! on ebay if you can find them they are cheaper.I also heard here on Iboats machining them takes away the hardened surface and then they wear down quickly.It isnt worth the time or money.Check ebay often.

F gear here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-...0593241QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Clutchdog here BETTER HURRY BEFORE THEIR GONE
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=clutch&_kw=dog&_kw=377458

You can turn the dog end for end and have a good surface

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

true dew2, .... if one is in that deep anyways.... might as well put the new stuff in

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That F gear for 85 is a steel normal is over 200

It's not a steal if it doesn't fit. My motor is a 65 and the seller says that F gear is for 68-72 models.

dew2

It's not a steal if it doesn't fit. My motor is a 65 and the seller says that F gear is for 68-72 models.

You better look again your part number is here PART31 Forward and bushing is PART# 378179
Right here http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278646/27864600001.htm
The gear on ebay is PART# 378179
OK I did the home work for you and you tell me i am wrong,I double check so I dont insert my foot in my mouth>See I go by part numbers not what someones neighbors cousin says.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You better look again your part number is here PART31 Forward and bushing is PART# 378179
Right here http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278646/27864600001.htm
The gear on ebay is PART# 378179
OK I did the home work for you and you tell me i am wrong,I double check so I dont insert my foot in my mouth>See I go by part numbers not what someones neighbors cousin says.

It wasn't my intent to insult you. I just figured the guy knew what it was he was selling. Guess he doesn't.

dew2

No problem,That gear does cross reference to other motors as you were told,I guess he didnt look into ALL the motors it fits

greg kay

Recruit

I repaired my 9.5 dog clutch by purchasing a 2nd hand leg from a wreckers for $60. It had all the parts. Replaced the gears as well. now runs like a dream.