water leak in 04 walter v drive

seanmed

Recruit
I have a walter v drive that is leaking around the shaft I think, from between where it comes through the hull before in goes to the drive..Does this souind right?? How hard is it too change something like this???

Ned L

Commander
Re: water leak in 04 walter v drive

So, that would be the stuffing box that is leaking. A lot depends on what type of stuffing box you have. Is it a traditional packing gland (adjustable) type, or one of hte 'dripless' types. Either way, the biggest issue is probably getting to it.

seanmed

Recruit

I'm not a 100% sure but everything I've read shows the dripless has a different look to the nut or what ever you call where the seal is in?? Also i've read that if it's the dripless type that it shouldn't be more than like 10 drips a min??? Does that sound right?? Mine is like a steady drip, almost like a little stream. Also the water is leaking through the seal even when the motor is off!!! Yeah that's what I'm trying to find out how's the best way to get to it!! Is there a special tool or something for that???? Thanks for all the help

Ned L

Commander

Yes, it is the 'traditional' adjustable type of stuffing box that looks like a big hex nut. A dripless type will not have any 'flats' to put a wrench on. I would have guessed that yours is 'dripless' (no adjustment). You are correct, 10 drop a minute (even when running) is plenty for either type. Neither type should drip at all at rest. Unfortunately you may be looking at pulling the engine to fix it. You should probably have someone take a look at it who is familiar with the type you have. At least a bit more water is better than not enough water (which can lead to siezing up & ripping itself apart, & damaging the shaft) Good luck.