materials need for repair?

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to getting back to restoring my tri-hull and was hoping some one could list what i will need to complete my project. I will be replacing the following: stringers, floor, upholstery, also, repainting boat as well. I tried a search but so many opinions, it was difficult to get an accurate list.

Thanks,

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: materials need for repair?

Well, I would start out by asing how big the boat is and how many stringers there are,and how tall are they? For my project I started with 20 yards of 1708 biax and 5 gallons of epoxy. My boat is 19ft x 7ft and what I started with will probably get my transom and stringers done if I am carefull with wasted epoxy. But it also depends on what materials you want to use. For example what kind of glass and do you want to use epoxy or poly. Epoxy is stonger and is a very good glue but cost 2 or 3 times more than poly.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I tried a search but so many opinions, it was difficult to get an accurate list.

Thanks,

Exactly, without knowing more details a list would be very difficult to come up with. As 888Liner said, we don't even know the size of your boat or the number of or size of the stringers. You could have 6 stringers or just two, could be 3/4" stock, could be 1-1/2" stock, transom could be two layers or three (most likely two) How far does the deck extend, and the question go on....

And before anyone else asked...pictures are always a big help.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

my boat is a 1972 15' sylvan tri-hull, with open bow. and yes the motor runs, just had it rebuilt

Attachments

• our boat 2.jpg
    our boat 2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • our boat 3.jpg
    our boat 3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 0
  • our boat.jpg
    our boat.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • our boat 4.jpg
    our boat 4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

check out the completed projects forum.

if i had more time i could give you info on how to measure your boat for glass.

but 5 gals of resin is way too little......lol....the 1708 will drink that stuff faster than a thursty man in a desert.

the big thing it to buy your wood now as it will have to dry first.
do a tear down or gut.....then you will know how many stringers and how tall.
then the calculations are easy.

getting the glass/resin can be done locally so it is usually just a few miles away.
but you are a long way from that yet.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Well it's still difficult to come up with a list.

But roughly (and very roughly) I'll give it a shot.

3/4" plywood (2 sheets)
1/2" Plywood (2 sheets)
SS Wood Screws (for attaching deck to stringers)
PL Adhesive (for bedding stringers) Personally I just bed them in a thicken resin, but many here use the PL

Polyester Resin (5 gallons, to start) you'll need more I'm sure
Glass (10 yards CSM, 10 yards 1708), there are other options for the 1708, but it's a good choice.
Cabosil (for thickening the resin)
Floatation Foam (Many options for that too, I suggest doing some reading of other posts)

Acetone (Gallon)
Rags
Safety gear

Griding discs (24) grit
Glass Rollers
Mixing Containers
Gloves

Hammers, pry bars, screwdrivers, scrapers, clamps, etc.

This is no where near a list to go out a buy.....Just some suggestons from experience. Once you get into the project, post your questions as you go...they will all be answered.

Good Luck.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am going to getting back to restoring my tri-hull and was hoping some one could list what i will need to complete my project. I will be replacing the following: stringers, floor, upholstery, also, repainting boat as well. I tried a search but so many opinions, it was difficult to get an accurate list.

Thanks,

Hello sasqfound and .. well you have a good few questions there ( I might add Im being nice in this post :) ) .

So you have a Trihull thats in the middle of a resto I take it. ( no year,make or mod OR PICS ).

Ok..lets goto the Stringers,floor,upholstery ..oh..also the Repaint of the boat as well. (what list did you find as inaccurate ? ) .. so many things.. we ask..

Your answer.. " my boat is a 1972 15' sylvan tri-hull" .. with your profile pics.. not really telling anything..

I hope you understand we need A LOT more pics on the current project and a Load more information on what you are trying to do here.

I can say you need 2 sheets of 3/4" MG ply..a shopping cart full of sundries and about 1000 dollars in paint..and another 1000 in vinyl and staples..your going to need about 200 bucks in this that and the other.. .. but I cant say for sure ..

Give us a bone here LOL ;) .

YD.

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help guys. I am an amateur to this so, I need a little "bone" myself to ask the right questions and offer the correct info. lol, My main goal is to repaint the top hull and if needed replace the stringers, and of course make some really nice (hopefuly cheap) custom upholstery. A gentleman who has manys years of glass is doing the lower hull for me. the bow area has had a wood deck for the seat ( previous owner) and I was thinking of cutting down enough to hold the bow seat, and then adding to livewells/compartments to the benches. and i was thinking I don't like the four ped. seats, so different seating to allow for more room. (geesh my mind is churning right now, lol) any suggestions would be great. oh,yeah how are the cushions mounted to the boat?

thanks