Trailer tire load capacity.

LNM

Cadet
Hey all, new boat owner here. I just took the boat and trailer to Les Schwab and had new trailer tires put on. When i got home I was checking them out and read on the side of the tire that they are rated for 1750 lb's. I'm pretty sure that the boat weighs more than that. It is a 1979 17 foot long Beachcraft. I think the guy said that it weighed around 2000lbs. Should I go back and get higher weight rated tires?

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

-Larry

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Trailer tire load capacity.

That's the rating for each tire so you have a total capacity of 1750x2=3500# for the tires.

ConroeBoater

Cadet

Hey, NYBo is correct...plus take into account the tongue weight also. Also, just FYI, it is best to run trailer tires at the MAX PSI COLD pressure. Vehicle tires generally have an optimum pressure (see driver's door panel), but trailer tires are designed to run at the MAX PSI or very close to it (ex: MAX PSI COLD is 50, running between 45-50 PSI is recommended.

fishrdan

Admiral

The only way to know for sure is to haul it down to the scales and have it weighed,,, when it's completely loaded. I "thought" my old boat/trailer weighed around 2500#... I was shocked to find out it was tipping 3200#, loaded and ready to hit the lake.

All the soaked foam didn't help out :rolleyes: