1960 Evinrude 40hp carb - messed up throttle shaft

kaharshs

Cadet
Hello,

I have rebuilt a few automotive carbs in my life but never a boat carb. So I order a kit and a new float. Got is all tore apart and cleaned up. I was putting it back together and found out I have messed up one of the screw holes for the throttle blades. Missing some threads. I shouldnt have taken them off but I did. I didnt see when I was taking them off they were staked on the back. Anyone else do and get it repaired? I found some stainless steel 3mm machine screws and was thinking about using them with a matching lock nut on the back. Do you think this will for or should I bust out the tig welder close the holes and retap them?

Kyle

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude 40hp carb - messed up throttle shaft

The TIG would be the best idea. The screws were peened because the will vibrate out and get ingested if they are not. I would certainly not trust a nut/ bolt combination at all for the butterfly. Even with red loctite.

kaharshs

Cadet

Thanks, the shaft is brass right?

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, my '60 Johnson has the butterfly attached to the brass shaft with two brass screws. When I rebuilt the carb, I just used a single hit with a centre-punch (peening) where the brass screw threads are visible on the backside of the shaft. Then again, you could always braze it.
Just my $0.02.

kaharshs

Cadet

Well got it fixed. It had stainless steel screws when I took it apart. So I found some brass machine screws that were slightly large. Go them to screw in and then staked that back of them. Luckly not hole repair required. Thanks guys.