Our New/Old boat - 1979 Glastron 16' Sportster - 1974 85 HP Merc

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll go through all the steps of the journey.... Sorry its wordy, but I gotta have someone to share it with so you guys just have to deal with me.

We started looking for a fishing boat last year, because I was raised on weekends at the lake (still go fishing with my dad alot), and with our first daughter born in June of last year, we wanted our kids to have that as an experience as well. My dad will take them fishing on his nice lund when they are older, but lets just say as 1,2,3 year olds, my dad might be a little too die hard. We wanted to take them ourselves, and if situations arose that we needed to go in while the fish were biting, hey that was ok. Our original budget was about $1000...... I was hopeful to find something with enough power to ski with as well, but that was secondary.

Well, what we found was that we couldn't find anything that wasn't rotted junk in our price range. All we wanted was something to go fish (I like bowriders though....don't like closed front starcrafts and such), wanted more than a john boat though, something with enough freeboard for little kids. I ended up finding a completely rotted out boat with a supposedly good engine for $300. I tore it out last year, and we were hoping to rebuild it this spring. Here is the thread.

I got the engine running last year, and this spring we decided to look for other hulls with a bad engine, hoping to find something solid that our engine would work on instead of taking the time to rebuild what we have. Once again, everything we found was rotted out, or well on its way. Apparently its impossible for most people with fiberglass boats to realize that there is wood in there. We looked at about 10 boats with "Solid Transoms" and every one of them had soft floors and rotted stringers. Finally we found a boat in wichita (3 hours away) that was a single owner, always stored inside, glastron, with a running engine that was stuck in reverse. He wanted $1800 for it. I called him, asked him if my engine would fit, and he was pretty sure it had a 115 max, so we made the trip down.

Long story short, for this old of a boat, this thing is CHERRY. It has foam, its all bone bone dry, stringers are good, transom is dry (I have core tested it). Original upholstery is in great shape minus about 2 tears. Has an 85 merc that runs, but is stuck in reverse. I did a comp test, and a spark test (both passed) I offered him $1000 cash because of the unknown of the engine, and after some arguing and jawing, he took it. This was a single owner boat, and it was his dads, and man they took care of it.

boat.jpg

Here she is. Has the factory top for it, it came with a trolling motor and mount (no separate battery). They don't have the center windshield on it, but he says its at their old lakehouse and he is going to call me when he gets it. I will take better pictures of it soon, kinda kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Took the lower end to a mechanic, and he replaced the shift follower and cam (I think thats what he called it) and it shifts in and out of gear now. However, I think I still have a problem in the control. I can get forward, or reverse, but not both. I can adjust the linkage at the barrel nut in the back on the engine, but I just can't get it to have enough travel to have both. The control pieces are pretty wore inside, and I bought another mercontrol on ebay, but its wore the same ,and doesn't fix the problem. We are headed back to the mechanic tomorrow, he says he has the pieces to fix it (if that is the problem).

We have had it on the lake once, and it runs great after I got the engine opened up with some sea foamed gas. Hope to be back on the lake this weekend after we get the reverse/forward problem figured out.

So now, I have to get rid of the other boat and trailer, and sell the engine (which is proving hard out here).

Just wanted to share the story so far, hopefully I will have forwards and reverse soon. How do you guys think I did? I will try to post some more photographs soon. We named her "Don't Panic" and here is a photograph of the decal going on the side. I am not going to put em on til all of the kinds are worked out though.

BoatDecalFinished.png

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Our New/Old boat - 1979 Glastron 16' Sportster - 1974 85 HP Merc

I think you did great man!! I've always liked 70's vintage G-Trons. My dad had one when I was growing-up, same colors but an I/O. Congrats.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice story. I spent a few months there back in the Spring of '07. Too many tornadoes for me! I didn't see much in the way of lakes out there, but you have the biggest town for hundreds of miles. So long as you can keep her covered, your Glastron can last pretty much forever. Great buy too!

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Nice glastron.. congrats. :)
the trailer looks good too.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a purty good deal. Glastrons are great old boats. Best of luck!

dsmith678

Recruit

Im glad to read this..my wifes sister is selling us a very similar boat for about the same money...I have been nervous but turned out good for you.

Your illegal signature has been removed. Re-read the rules. TY Bob_VT

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im glad to read this..my wifes sister is selling us a very similar boat for about the same money...I have been nervous but turned out good for you.

They are not the same, unless the condition is similar. Used boats are always about condition, condition, condition. Mixing family with business can be risky too.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your illegal signature has been removed. Re-read the rules. TY

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Mixing family with business can be risky
Tell me about it. Friends too. Probly best to go ahead & leave politics & religion out of the equation as well ...?

emoney

Commander

^matter of fact, I only do business with people that are either complete strangers, or that I absolutely can't stand.......

Good find and I, too, have a soft spot for those old Glastrons. Always looked sharp on the lake when I was growing up.
Congrats!