1970 33 hp evinrude cooling problem

MrSkiTwin

Recruit
Help! I recently bought a little vintage ski boat with a 33hp 1970 Evinrude outboard. I know it sat in a backyard for many years without being run. The water pump was trashed, so we replaced the whole thing, but still no water circulating. How would I find where the problem is? Did this engine have a thermostat? I'm 12, and my mom and I are working on this together. We are pretty good at fixing engines. Can anyone give advice?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 33 hp evinrude cooling problem

That engine does not have a thermostat and the cooling system is pretty simple. Drop the lower unit and double check your work.

Is the impeller housing screws all tightened fairly evenly? That is.... are any of the screws loose where the housing could draw in air?

Did the impeller key slip out so that the driveshaft is not turning the impeller?

Did the water tube fit the water tube grommet edge and fold it over? (This is the most common error).

Note that the water level must be a couple inches above the water pump assembly in order for it to prime and pump water.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Fixing an old outboard at age 12?? Right on young man. Welcome to iBoats. What Joe Reeves just said is great advice. He is one of the top guys on this site. Fortunately, those 33's are simple to work on. If you have any other questions, feel free to come on back :D

MrSkiTwin

Recruit

Thank you so much for responding!! I super appreciate the advice. Tomorrow I will double check all those points. I think my water level might not be high enough because my bucket brings it is just above the intake holes. I love the engines of that time period and my friends think I'm a bit crazy because that is my hobby! Thanks again and I'll post how it goes.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Try using a trash can or something. The water needs to be higher than you'd expect on these motors.

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, sounds like the water level was not high enough for one. I had a similar problem recently with me 1973 25HP. Wouldn't pump after impeller replacement. Turns out the impeller key had slipped out on reassembly. Did you notice it went together really hard when you put it back together?

MrSkiTwin

Recruit

Hey everyone! We fixed it!! Took it apart and double checked everything and then put it good and deep in a garbage can, and out came the water. Engine ran cool as a cucumber. Very exciting because that was my first chance to hear it idle properly. SWEET!
Thanks everyone!!