Lowes or HD Indoor/Outdoor Carpet for snap in?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone have any advice or opinions on this? I want to get/make some snap ibn cockpit carpet for the boat. I know this isn't marine carpet, but it is easy to get, supposed to work outdoors, and comes in very wide rolls that can be cut to the perfect size/shape. I would cut it, sew up the edges like normal snap in carpet, and then install snaps. The plan would be to leave it out of the cockpit when not in use, or when out fishing.

If anyone has used it with good or bad results, please let me know.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lowes or HD Indoor/Outdoor Carpet for snap in?

I have used the Lowes Indoor/Outdoor before with okay results. I'm sure the Home Depot would be about the same stuff. It's not as good as Marine Grade carpet, but its acceptable. As far as the holding the snaps good, I don't know, since I've never done a snap in carpet liner.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've had the gray stuff from Lowes on my dock for about 5 or 6 years, it holds up OK, but I don't like carpet in boats either.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also don't like carpet in boats. It is inevitably going to stink.

Take a look at Hydroturf.com. I have used it in 3 different boats. Most recent and current boat included...

attachment.php

And swim platform...

attachment.php

And old seadoo jetboat...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on this? I want to get/make some snap ibn cockpit carpet for the boat. I know this isn't marine carpet, but it is easy to get, supposed to work outdoors, and comes in very wide rolls that can be cut to the perfect size/shape. I would cut it, sew up the edges like normal snap in carpet, and then install snaps. The plan would be to leave it out of the cockpit when not in use, or when out fishing.

If anyone has used it with good or bad results, please let me know.

For a Quick and inexpensive fix I see no problem here.

One tip.. melt the edges after you cut them.

Two tip.. Bed the snaps in your deck with 5200 and check every season for snap failure ( getting loose or movement in the snaps ).

YD.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I understand the dislike for carpet, but with it being snap in, I will only have it in place when entertaining. When not on the boat, it will be stored, and during the winter it will come home. I fully intend to keep it clean and nice.

As far as melting the edges, is there an edging material that can be sewn on? Is the melting a better choice, or can both be done?

I also plan to bed the snaps as mentioned, and always keep and eye on them.