Squel/Squeak coming front front of motor ----- Again!

Allmand

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1966 GM inline 6, 250ci, 160hp. Pre-alpha dirve. Last season the front of the motor started squeling real bad (bad bearing)..I changed the water pump and the squeling stopped. The pump that was in it was automotive, so I replaced it with a marine grade pump. I did winterize it but the boat set most of the winter. I am in south Texas so it never really got cold anyway.

However,
This season, after the motor is running for a few minutes it does the same thing. Not as loud as it was before the first water pump replacement. Is it normal for a less than one year old marine grade water pump bearing to start squeling again this early on? Maybe its another bearing? Maybe a front engine bearing or something? But it does sound like its coming from the pump.

My question: Is there any way to run a lubricant through the water system? The is a salt water boat. Is there something out there that you can hook up to the muffs maybe, that can introduce some type of lubricant to the water intake stream?

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Squel/Squeak coming front front of motor ----- Again!

May not be the pump, have you checked the belt, is it good and tight? Rusty pulleys can cut down the belt width and make it loose.

Allmand

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, you can hear it inside the front of the motor when you kneel down. the belts are in good shape and tight. It sounds internal. I am sure I could maybe run some antifreeze through it somehow to get some lubrication in there but would immedietely flush out when I drop the boat in the water. Just wondering if they make some type of lube that would stick and stay in the water pump/system for a while.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

To eliminate the possibility that it may be something superficial, as Don suggested, maybe just the belt making noise. Give a 1-2 second shot of WD-40, Armour All of any all purpose lube on the belt/pulley's. Maybe you will get lucky and the sound will instantly go away. At least you will know for sure weather you need to dig deeper. Belts can make some weird, and scary sounds. I could swear I had a main bearing going out on my old Cheby pick-up, a quick spray and all was well.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run the engine for a few seconds with out the belt ... see if the noise stays or goes. Good luck.

Allmand

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.....there is a possibility that is the pully itself. I will spray them down. If I still hear the noise I will take the belt off and check.

No suggestions on lubing the open cooling system>?

Oldskool

Seaman

Lubing the cooling system isn't going to correct or help a bad bearing; they're sealed.

Allmand

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oldskool....that is good to know.