Draining the power trim tilt system

llyons

Seaman
recently the power trim system on this older boat (1987 Mercury 150 XR2 Black Max) has started to leak and the fluid is a milky red indicating water in the system. Since the water is brackish I want to drain the system asap and get the water out. The leak is at the top seal of the reservoir on the right side where the two metal pieces come together. The trim and tilt still work.

How do I drain this system and flush it out?

Where this is leaking, what seal is most likely shot?

Just 6 months ago I had added type F fluid to top it off.

thanks

llyons

Seaman
Re: Draining the power trim tilt system

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got a ser# for the motor?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Remove the anode from bottom of trim unit, on bottom side of unit below the starboard trim ram is a recessed allen screw( on main body not tilt ram). Release the manual release valve and remove screw, tighten release valve and run trim till unit is flushed. This is the testing port for the down pressure side of unit so it will have about 500 psi as it exits. There is no drain on this system....

llyons

Seaman

Ok so I screwed this one up. I found a tight snug fitting allen wrench and after I couldnt get it by hand, I added some leverage and actually stripped out the inside pentagonal pattern on the allen screw.

So now what? Do I need to take the entire motor, reservoir off the boat? I was hoping to avoid this scenario.?

Is there another way?

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may be able to take a hose fitting loose and run your system until it drains that way. You won't get all the fluid out, but you should get enough to replace most of the fluid with fresh.