inline 6 mercury keikhaeafer 1250 only starts after sitting in hot sun all afternoon

jason3583

Cadet
working on a boat for a friend! crank it over it will fire but wont take off and run. Now on previous occasions ( at the lake) the motor would try to start, but if you wait a few hours leaving the cover on you can walk right up hit the key and it will run just fine for the remainder of the day. any ideas? i beleive it has to be electrical.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: inline 6 mercury keikhaeafer 1250 only starts after sitting in hot sun all aftern

It could be electrical, but would be pretty rare. The obvious test is to take a spark test early in the day.

Also, those motors are hard to start when cold. Make sure the choke works, and choke the daylights out of them when cold starting.

jason3583

Cadet
Re: inline 6 mercury keikhaeafer 1250 only starts after sitting in hot sun all aftern

i checked and its so random it may spark every four revolutions or every other, i think maybe the switch box has gone bad because the spark is so inconsistent.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You probably want to run the ign test for that motor, as it just may be the trigger and not the switchbox. I have found triggers to be intermittent. Get on the CDIElectronics.com website and look up the ign troubleshooting test for your motor.

hempfarmer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cold starting an Inline 6, always been fun.

When was the starter last rebuilt?

Tech Support

Cadet

You probably want to run the ign test for that motor, as it just may be the trigger and not the switchbox. I have found triggers to be intermittent. Get on the CDIElectronics.com website and look up the ign troubleshooting test for your motor.

http://cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/

http://cdielectronics.com/downloads/troubleshooting guide/Mercury 4 and 6 Cylinder - 332-2986.pdf

Run through all the tests under NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER.

Also, battery type is critical on battery-driven ignitions.

http://cdielectronics.com/downloads...ues, Regulator-Rectifiers and Tachometers.pdf

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

I got my money on the trigger I had one that would trigger only when it felt like it but not for long she finally quit period and that was in the middle of the lake and oh what fun that was LMAO.

jason3583

Cadet

have no ideah porbably the original. it kicks out when the motor fires

jason3583

Cadet

hey thanks im gona get on to checking