1954 Johnson QD 15 Wont Start after running

schap7

Cadet
Hi i have a 1954 johnson QD 15 had it out on the lake already 4 times this season. Every time it has ran absolutely beautifully. Last week i went out got on the water motor briefly started (5-7 secs) then shut off and havent been able to get it going since. the day this happened the motor was in laying on it side in the boat on trailer and we got hit with a bad rain storm . Dont know if maybe something got wet that shouldnt have. Any one have any ideas i have no knowledge when it comes to boat motors this is my first boat. by the way i cleaned out the carb to check for water no water fuel in glass bulb is very clean

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1954 Johnson QD 15 Wont Start after running

Did you start with the basics? Is she sparking?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Classic symptoms of bad coils.

kfa4303

Banned

yup. I agree with F_R. Try pulling off the flywheel and taking a look at the coils. They're probably cracked/ruined, which is perfectly normal on these old gems. Not to worry. The modern replacement coils are readily available and much, much more realiable. You may as well replace the ppoints and coils while you're at it. There are lots of posts here that can walk you through replacing all the consumables. Well worth the effort though. These old 10hp are great motors. Good luck.

schap7

Cadet

Thank you for quick response everyone. Yes I do have spark just checked that today. Do you still think bad coils? A friend said bad gas but I'm just not sure

kfa4303

Banned

of course bad gas could be the culprit. you check easily enough by preparing a fresh batch of fuel/oil mix. you'll want to do 16:1 for this model. assuming that's not the case, you may be getting spark, but not enough of one or a very consistent one. the spark should easily jump a 7/16" gap and produce a bright blue-white spark with an audible "snap" and the smell of ozone. you can get a spark plug gap tester at an auto parts store for about $7. You'll know if the coils bad when you remove the flywheel and visually inspect them. the coils were about the only weak link on these old motors. over the years, the coils have usually replaced as they fail. however, it is possible that you still have the original coils. only way to be sure is the take a look. assuming they have been replaced at some point, they're probably ok. you'll know if they're replacement coils if they have a solid, smooth plastic coating, usually green, black, or red. that really only leaves the points and condensers, which are "consumable" components ad are designed to be changed periodically. a tune up kit with new points and condensers is probably your best bet for getting a strong, consistent spark. Here's a pic of what and ideal electrical system (magneto) should look like when you remove the flywheel. Let us know what you find and feel free to asks more questions. we like pics too.

Lightwin-new-magnedo-ignition-system.jpg