depth finder reading "BAD"

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the past help everyone. New boat, new problems... I'm hoping same great results for all ya'll help!!!

I just bought a Calabria Pro V II and the depth finder is reading "bad" I found a link that said that it might mean that it is not getting power. I found the transducer and it appears to be a airmar ST300 ( I cannot confirm this is the actual one because I cannot find any markings on the one in the boat). I put a test light on it and it does not show power when the key is on. However the speed and water are reading. I do see another wire going into a round plastic peice that is fiberglassed into the hull of the boat and it does not go thru the entire hull. It does not have power when on either.
Would anyone have advice as how to proceed? Is there a sure fire way to determine which airmar tranducer I have? as the ST 300 is not a depth finder

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: depth finder reading "BAD"

The piece on the hull is a "shoot through hull" transducer. It will not have 12 volts on it because the transducer is pulsed. If the locator shows anything, it IS getting power or it would show a blank screen. You apparently have two transducers -- one or the other is not apparently responding to the head unit. Obviously it can't if it's not hooked up. No! You cannot simultaneously run two transducers from one head.

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No! You cannot simultaneously run two transducers from one head.

With what you said and the fact there are two tranducers running to one head unit one tranducer will never be read?

The head unit is the factory digital Calabria head unit that uses a switch to switch between four options; outside temp, water temp, speed and depth. all options seem to work except the depth is reading "BAD".

Also, would you say the shoot thru hull transducer is probably the depth finder??? and the other (airmar) is the temp and speed?

Silvertip thanks for all the help this is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My bad! I was under the iimpression this was a fishfinder/locator. If you have a switchable unit then whatever switch setting is showing BAD, that transducer or sensor is bad or not connected. The head unit is obviously ok since it responds to the other sensors.