Shift and throttle control problem

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice
This is regarding my 1998 Larson 5.0 GL (PBYC) with SX-CI outdrive. I am continuing to work on this boat after it having been in storage for the last five years. I have the engine turning over now but am experiencing yet another problem. The engine won?t turn over when I disengage the drive (shift control) and move the throttle forward to give it some gas. It will turn over when the throttle/shift control is in the full upright position only.
I?ve followed the wiring and can?t see anything obvious such as a broken, frayed, corroded wire. I disassembled it yesterday (removed cables and pulled it loose from the gunwale) but still can?t see anything internally in the control mechanism that is obviously broken, corroded, etc. It seems as though it must be electrical in nature and I?m guessing there?s some sort of internal connection/contact that I can?t see.If anyone has experienced a problem with these controllers; do they fail internally? Can they be cleaned or completely rebuilt? Should I cut my losses (aggravation) and just go buy a new one?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift and throttle control problem

It has a neutral safety switch in it. It's designed to allow you to start the engine only when in the neutral position. Sounds like the neutral only button isn't disengaging the drive so you can use throttle only.

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shift and throttle control problem

Thanks for info. I removed everything and sprayed it with an electrical connection cleaner. I haven't put it all back in yet as I replaced the shift cable at the same time. It was completely frozen. Will see what happens when I get it all back together.